Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Could you work for the other guys?

I'm cross-posting this in politics but thought I might get some good opinions from OOT.

Assume you work in a field that is related to policy or politics. Many of the organizations for which you could work are either controlled by people loyal to one particular party or have a clear ideological leaning (as in the case of some think tanks).

1.) Could you work for an organization that was run by or specifically dedicated to assisting the political party that you do not favor?

2.) Moderates, centrists, independents, and others not falling within one of the big two: would you be willing to work for either or both of the parties or their associated organizations?

3.) Would it change your opinion if the particular policy slant on your specific issue was closer to the center than the party mainstream, or was in some other way more palatable to you personally, even though that organization still represented the _____ Party?

4.) Do you believe that it's possible to be a moderating/constructive force by bringing a somewhat contrarian political/policy perspective to an organization with specific positions, many of which you do not share?

Curious about your opinions. Conservatives who think that the Democratic Party is for communists only and liberals who suggest that the Republican Party only cares about rich white men (i.e. rabid ideologues) need not respond.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Could you work for the other guys?

in
Old 02-13-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, wtf?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:53 PM

I think its somewhat like jury duty, if you do not favor the political side that you may be working for, they might somewhere along the way not let you work there. That said, you also have to ask yourself, is this something that will pay me something that I cannot find elsewhere and with possibly less internal friction. Unless, you are talking about possibly running for office in the future, which this may allow you some insight and internship you need, but at what cost, do you think you are going to "play for the other team" politically if/when you get involved in public service? Terms like "Working across the aisle" are great sound bites, but in reality, you are usually on one sode of the road or the other, the trucks go down the middle of the road and you dont want to be uncommitted roadkill.