Would like feedback.
Stars 55r 2nd Place Hand History
Old 11-07-2006, 02:27 PM

Default Re: HH for Stars 55r 2nd Place

[ QUOTE ]
Would like feedback.
Stars 55r 2nd Place Hand History

[/ QUOTE ]

Will probably look at it tonight and comment.
I went through Jurollo's last night and was fun to relate to the comments of posters.

I may post one myself for the $650 PCA win if there is any interest.

Also have one for the $650 PCA I bubbled the previous week if people are interested.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:12 PM

Preface: 55r is much higher than i usually play, and I may not be that good, so if the questions seem dumb, I'm just trying to learn here.

OK, questions i have:

hand 69: folded AKo PF? disconnect or something?

hand 79: you three barreled this, after he called your flop and turn bet, doesn't he call the river a good % of the time? obv he didnt here, but just curious of your analysis on this hand

hand 92: after your PFR you play this passively, no c-bet on relatively safe flop, nor on the turn, why? (I ask not in a critical way, but I'm just trying to learn your rationale behind your moves here)

Hand 108: You elect to just call PF, his range is probably somewhat wide here, I was thinking at the time I would just call, but then started thinking about a RR, what made u want to just call here? On the flop, he checks, why not take a shot at the pot here, it looks like he's giving it to you? The rest of the hand you call him down, is this why you checked the flop...to induce bluffs on later streets?

Hand 109: you call pfr on button w/ 99, when checked to you take a shot at the pot here. My thinking is that if they have an A they will bet out on this board and if they dont, they'll likely fold. Is that your line of thinking here?

Hand 119: on river, why didn't you raise here? Isn't any J calling a lot and maybe even a T sometimes? We're only losing to JJ and TT here, maybe 55.

Hand 152: you call off almost 1/3 of your stack pf w/ TT, why not push even tho the raise came from UTG? We're OOP on the flop and you c/f, isn't there a better line?

Hand 159: you minraise OTB w/ AA, I know you want action, but doesn't that scream big PP w/ your short stack? Lately in these HHs I've seen that ppl have shown respect to minraises especially from shortstacks, is this a good cheap way to steal once in a while with a weak hand since it does scream big PP?

Hand 184: The stack sizes seemed to make the bet sizing on the flop weird, what range did you think villain limp/called pf w/?

Hand 208: You call SB reraise w/ ~1/2 PSB left? Why not push it all in preflop? And is calling/pushing > folding here?

Hand 257: Is this really the best spot for a resteal? BB is AI already for 1/4 of a BB, thus button's stealing equity will be reduced not only b/c there's not as much in the pot, but he has to beat BB to win it. Doesn't this narrow his range somewhat? Or am I off base here? I can't tell if I'm results oriented here or not...hard to say.

Hand 314: You have <10BBs left and big stack opens for 4xBB and you fold AJo, isn't this good enough to make a stand here with?

Hand 327: M of 7 in SB, isn't a shove +EV? I think his range has to be pretty wide here to make this -EV. Altho I didn't take into consideration $EV here, but I think you're giving up 4 or 5% by folding here after running some ranges through SNGPT

Hand 355: again, I think you're giving up equity here by not pushing

Hand 363: Why not call for set value at least?

Hand 367: I like pressuring the 2nd big stack here. I think he has to have a huge hand not to fold here.

Hand 378: On the flop you overbet push his c-bet. Would instead reraising to something like 200k and hoping he pushes thinking he has some FE be better?

Hand 438: I think I like the aggressiveness against him being that he is 2nd biggest stack, in fact, while it was 4-handed and now while it's 3 handed I probably would have been a lot more aggressive against those mid-stacks b/c I think this is where you have max FE; altho I do think you played it pretty well tho.

Hand 508: don't get rivered

Hope that wasn't too long
Old 11-08-2006, 11:57 AM

elstunar, my responses:

hand 69: Obviously a disconnect, timeout, or misclick.

hand 79: His check/call on three streets is very, very weak. He probably had a T and couldn't let it go, and the 8 river just filled a possible straight as well. The combined weakness of his line and apparent strength of mine makes betting the river +EV. He also might have missed on straight draw that beats me (KJ or something).

Hand 92: Sometimes on a draw heavy board against a good opponent (I don't recall my read on this villain) I don't cbet these situations. You're often getting floated by a pair here, and a 2/3rd pot bet gets looked up a lot, or reraised by a good hand or a draw.

Hand 108: I like flat calling in these situations preflop with AK and AQ a lot. I don't like building the pot because we miss the flop 2/3 of the time, we're called a lot preflop, and by building the pot we negate our positional advantage and variety of postflop movies. When he checks the flop I don't think he has a pair, because with that board he bets it if he does. Now I'm confident I have the best hand, he doesn't have many outs, and just want to get money out of him by letting him take the betting lead and fire away with Ax or KQ or whatever.

Hand 109: I think you actually meant hand 117, and yes that is my line of thinking. There's no way an A gets checked to me, so I take the pot.

Hand 119: Yeah, there's probably value in a river raise, you are correct. I need to work on my river play because I think I'm leaving value out on the table quite a bit.

Hand 152: I assume you mean hand 157, and yes I vomited when I watched this in the replayer. I think the correct line with these stacks is, unfortunately, to fold. But those two Ts looked so pretty!

Hand 159: This is just a lame situation. Maybe limping the button would be better because then maybe BB thinks he has FE. And, I do limp the button occasionally so there's good Shania for me. Don't know the answer to your question since I never do it. I think at the time I was like, "damn how can I get value out of this, minraise!" Probably the only time I've ever done that.

Hand 184: Yeah, I recall thinking when I shoved that I may be about to be trapped with a big hand, but felt it was the only move and that there's plenty of other stuff he limp/calls with (I vaguely recall having a read on villain too).

Hand 208: These days I'm seeing all sorts of weird reraises preflop in these situations and these stacks. The preflop odds dictated a call, but I wasn't willing to just stick the rest in with little FE and way behind his range even if he's making a move. So, with 10 BBs behind or whatever I call and see the flop with position. J9o doesn't mind seeing a flop here. Villain's mistake was not pushing any flop, and when he didn't I thought he must have a big hand, but then the 9 came on the turn.

Hand 257: I thought villain would be raising with any old above average hand, and fold almost everything to my shove leaving a lot of chips in the pot regardless of the outcome with BB. Just happened to run into AQ.

Hand 314: Close. I believe we were on the FT bubble and my thought was that open shoving any two was very unlikely to be called, so I would wait. Indeed, not to be results oriented, but look at the next several hands to see why I passed on AJ.

Hand 327: Yeah, probably. I sort of play by feel in the late game, trying to stay in a flow. That's the only way I can explain it.

Hand 355: Huh?

Hand 363: I should have shoved.

Hand 367: I think you mean 366, and yeah I am proud of this move despite results.

Hand 378: Yes, this was a big mistake. I need to raise, obviously, but I need to raise enough to make him think he can shove a draw or an overpair. At the time I wanted to represent a draw and get him to call with an overpair, but that was a bad move.

Hand 438: I was shocked to get looked up by QTs, but that's why I wasn't being more aggressive. My read was that they were both willing to gamble and had pretty wide calling ranges. Just got unlucky here.

Hand 508: Yeah getting it in as a 63% favorite and getting rivered for $5k sucks.

Thanks for the comments/questions. Very appreciated. Further discussion welcome.

Hand 327:
Old 11-08-2006, 12:19 PM

Well played, Paul. There's a lot of hands I'm going to comment on where you played in a way that surprised me, but on thinking through it, I can see the appeal of your line. So in many cases it's not that I disagree with how you played it, but I'm curious to hear your plan/reasoning.

108: Reasoning for flat call preflop?
119: Push the river.
157: I assume you were you planning to get it in on a non-A/K flop?
159: Shania is angry!
160: Well played. I'm kind of surprised Pharlap folded here, she's a station. I bet if you had shoved your A's last hand, you would have gotten a call from Pharlap on this hand.
184: I take it you know something about gambler? I think this line works only because of the very specific stack sizes involved here.
189: I probably fold this.
200: I like this call, but I'm kind of surprised you made it.
208: Fold to the RR.
215: Check behind. This is about the best flop there is for a c-bet, so I'd be suspicious when Villain doesn't make one.
249: What's your plan here?
258: I'd probably limp behind on the button here, gambler seems like a good guy to get into a pot with, position should allow you to pick up more than your share of orphan pots, and the blinds are comfortable enough that they shouldn't be shoving too often pre-flop.
262: I know it's a small bet and all, but I still fold the river.
275: This seems like a good spot for a raise pre-flop. Were you making a conscious effort to tighten up?
335: I'm not the best math guy, but I'm pretty sure a push is +EV.
363: I'd be pretty tempted to squeeze here.
378: I remember watching this one and thinking it was a great time to shove with air or a draw. Consequently, I don't like it with a set. $EV considerations mean he needs a monster to call you here.
388: Bet the flop or turn.
427: Right around here, I think you start rushing things. You've got a huge lead right now, and that gives you a lot of control over the table, so much so that stealing blinds doesn't have to be such a high priority anymore. You really just need to avoid letting anyone else catch up to you, which they don't be able to do via blind-stealing alone. By putting a huge number of chips on the line to pick up small pots, you're really doing yourself a disservice. Be a little more patient, settle for taking down a few less pots pre-flop, and keep the pressure on without putting so much of your stack at risk. For example, on this hand, I think raising and folding to a SB push is much better than open shoving.
433: I don't like this one either.
450: After losing with 52, you really need to slowdown with the OOP blind steals. Just fold this.
455: He's not potting the river as a bluff at an unraised pot. Fold.
460: You've got a big draw on a flop where you're very likely to get check-raised. Check behind and then bet the turn hit or miss if he checks again.
466: Why play this so fast?
481: You have to bet this turn. You've got a double gutter and he's checked to you twice.
526: You shouldn't be open-folding a Q on your SB.
535: What's your plan? I think stack sizes look good for a flop 3-bet, though you were on a draw the last time you did that.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 208: These days I'm seeing all sorts of weird reraises preflop in these situations and these stacks. The preflop odds dictated a call, but I wasn't willing to just stick the rest in with little FE and way behind his range even if he's making a move. So, with 10 BBs behind or whatever I call and see the flop with position. J9o doesn't mind seeing a flop here. Villain's mistake was not pushing any flop, and when he didn't I thought he must have a big hand, but then the 9 came on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok when I watched this was the one that caught my attention the most - I think I bleed money in spots like this. Do you call here if he pushes the flop? If he pushes a blank turn? What about an A or club turn?
Old 11-08-2006, 01:40 PM

Andrew,

I think I answered most of this in my previous post, but here's a few thoughts on the others.

Hand 119: Are you being results oriented? A push seems horrid, as you're only getting called if you're beat.

Hand 249: A push is just fine here preflop, obviously, and is probably the best play. But often I think calling is kind of fun with these stacks, because it will put him in a very awkward position postflop (39k stack and 22k pot OOP).

Hand 258: Good point, but I prefer a raise to 12k for the reasons you mentioned. If I recall, gambler was limping a lot and folding.

Hand 262: Was worried he went the whole way like this with a draw and thought possibility was decent enough to call the tiny river bet.

Hand 275: Should be a raise, I just hate KQ with a passion.

Hand 335: That's a shove, I missed it.

Hand 388: Flop check is fine. Turn bet, yes.

Hand 427: You have to shove these, because XAAR is never calling without a HUGE hand in the hopes you bust bugbear and bugbear has enough left that he's waiting to open shove. I do agree my gear shifting may not have been optimal during this time period though.

Hand 433: Again, XAAR wants stevie to bust really bad and stevie has enough to keep his calling range very low. I think this push is good.

Hand 450: Agree.

Hand 455: Agree, bad call.

Hand 460: Excellent advice, agreed.

Hand 466: Hoping he has a big enough hand to put me on a draw and make a call. Not sure the right line here, advice?

Hand 481: Allin PF here, not sure what hand you're referencing?

Hand 526: He was tougher then I thought he would be but yeah you're probably right.

Hand 535: By this time my read was that he was tough and aggressive, but if I stayed patient I would get him (indeed, I think I had him allin twice as worse then a 60/40 dog to win the tourney). I didn't want to run a big semibluff, rightly or wrongly.

Thanks for the feedback. I struggled somewhat late in the game, so this is very helpful.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 119: Are you being results oriented? A push seems horrid, as you're only getting called if you're beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damnit Paul I knew you were going to say that. Just because the results prove me right doesn't mean I'm being results oriented! You're almost never behind here, how often do you push this river on a bluff? I'd expect a T to pay me off, let alone AJ.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 481: Allin PF here, not sure what hand you're referencing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I meant 480. And I just saw that you had a flush draw too. I want to kick you in the groin for not betting this turn.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:27 PM

Yeah, 480 is a terrible time not to bet the turn. IIRC, he was c/raising me a lot and constantly putting pressure on me and I was gonna hate myself if I bet the turn and didn't get a chance to see the river with all those outs. Still, you are correct. Betting there is a must.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok when I watched this was the one that caught my attention the most - I think I bleed money in spots like this. Do you call here if he pushes the flop? If he pushes a blank turn? What about an A or club turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably based on my read and the timing of his push. If he instapushes I probably call. If he pushes a blank turn I probably fold. If he shoves an A or club on the turn I probably fold. It's the fact that he didn't shove that froze me. When the 9 came on the turn I thought he had a K and hit the jackpot. I was very surprised he didn't call.