Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Adanthar, reflect a bit , markets work, laws already apply to this.

[ QUOTE ]
There is NO way that "regulation" would be a net benefit to US players.

[/ QUOTE ]

This does not follow from the rest of your points at all. There is a very real chance that all on-line gaming, including poker, will be effectively off-limits to all US residents at some point in the not so distant future. A regulated industry is clearly superior to that outcome.

I share your preference for the free market, but I think harping on it is counter-productive in this situation. We need to focus on the points that have the best chance of success and present a clear, consistent message. It's hard enough to convince legislators that on-line gaming shouldn't be banned. And almost all legislators tend to be anti-market; their jobs depend on regulating. So although you can to talk all you like about how great the market is, in practical terms, given our objective, I think it's at best academic and at worst counter-productive. IMO, the way to go is to argue that regulation wil help prevent the supposed problems with on-line gaming while also producing substantial tax revenues.