Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Ban anyone that doesn't respond in poll form
Yes 8 57.14%
No 2 14.29%
BASTARD 2 14.29%
Fuck OOT! 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2007, 11:56 AM

Default open % from CO and button

all this talk in the nclc thread is making me feel like a nit
what it do
Old 10-21-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Re: open % from CO and button

I'm at around 50.5 from button and 30.5 from the CO over my last 60k hands
Old 10-21-2007, 12:20 PM

u prob have a big database just do filters in pt and figure what ur ranges should be
Old 10-21-2007, 01:01 PM

Ive had some preflop epiphanies as of late and I really think its helping me on my game.

Here is the epiphany:

The optimal postflop strategy that you must play is dependent on your preflop range. The looser your range, the more loose/agressive you must play postflop.. The same is true for your opponents.
Adding a particular hand to your distribrution may show a profit to the other hands in your distribution.
However, this depends on the opponent.

Adding a 0 EV, or sometimes a very very barely -EV hand to your distribution will make other hands more profitable, because it forces your opponent to pay off the stronger hands more, if they knew how wide your distribution is. The net result is more money with your strong hands and a bigger total profit.

However, if your opponent will not adjust their strategies, because they ASSUME you play a certain range. (or they just play their own fixed strategy) Adding those borderline hands to your range have no value. They will go nuts vs your AA regardless.

For example, 57s is a decent hand to open with from the button against the majoirty of opponents. It balances out the low end of your distribution so an agressive opponent is less correct to steal from you on 567 type boards. However, if your opponents are very loose and spazzy postflop, muck the hand. You are going to be played back at too much to show a profit with this hand.. Your only incentive is to raise this hand for image. (However, If they assume you dont have any low cards in your range, and will thus go nuts on low boards, this hand may show a profit in of itself)

When your opening a hand from the CO or button, ask yourself what does it accomplish? Is it +EV in of itself because you think this hand can be played profitably against the line up of players behind you? Are you trying to cultivate an image that will alter your opponents strategy?

Here's a few concepts:

1) Multitablers often adjust their strategy based on your statistcs. They look at your pfr% and AF and assume certain ranges based off these. If you have a 23% pfr and 3-bet this multitabler from the button.. they will assume ur doing so with QJs, 67s, 44 etc. and if theyre good.. adjust. If you have a 17% pfr, they probabily wont.
So if you have a 17% PFR and look down to see a speculative hand, you can be more inclined to 3-bet it vs the multitabler if they are tight.

2) If ur opponents are loose/spazzy, the easiest way to play with them is by only raising hands that make good draws/made hands and MAKE THEM THINK YOU ARE LOOSE/SPAZZY.
look for ways to piss these people off... Then tighten up.

If they keep trying to bluff out your air with their air, but you really have a made hands, there is serious profit. Playing a wide preflop range, when they think you have a wide preflop range will only get you in trouble.. Most of these players are pretty good at handling these scenarios, so by playing loose against them, you are playing in their element.

They key is to make them think your looser/spazzier than you really are to get that excess action on your strong hands without making it strategically correct for them to give you it. Most of those hands you are raising are close to 0EV, so if they pay you off with your good hands regardless, playing tighter will just reduces your variance.

If they are so loose spazzy that you will make a huge profit everytime you hit a hand, then you can loosen up again... Just make sure you are confident enough to adjust your postflop strategy to exploit it.

How is this relevant to your poll?
Dont use %'s. Look at the hand, estimate future action/possibilities and proceed from there.

Shania is everything...
Old 10-21-2007, 01:35 PM

1) WHAT IS MY HAND
2) WHAT IS MY OPPONENTS HAND
3) HEISBENBERG!!!
Old 10-21-2007, 01:55 PM

I have no idea what that meant, but it made me literally lol.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:17 PM

My impression is that in practice many (though by no means all) players who play a 30/20 style give up much of their shania edge by making poor decisions when they are running badly. I know that I've played against some LAGTAGs who look absolutely great when the cards are coming in the favor -- extracting the max while losing the least -- but then I play them again later when they are having a bad session and they literally spew back most of that EV right there.

I know that I've been guilty of that behavior myself.

So I think your psychological state of mind should also be a factor. If you're running bad and not playing your A game, if you can't get away from the table, you should at least tighten up because (1) your edge on the marginal hands is probably non-existent at that moment; and (2) the extra variance is going to increase the chance you start doing some really stupid monkey tilting.

Please take these words of wisdom from someone who ends up playing like a donkey a lot now for no good reason. :|
Old 10-21-2007, 02:18 PM

31% and 48% seems to be my numbers vs. an unknown, but I really agree that it is very dependent on which types of opponents that are in the blinds.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:20 PM

sweetjazz thats very good advice and is so applicable to me it isnt even funny.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:28 PM

A+ stuff heisenb3rg