Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2006, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Requirements to make a stand vs maniac.

Another interesting questions: What is your reraising range here?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The stronger the hand the less I would reraise against people like this. They love to bet big every street, why reraise and let him know you are strong? If he wants to keep throwing money in the pot without any effort on my part, I won't stop him. Usually a good reraise against this guy makes him go away.

I would reraise against a board with a lot of draws, but if I think my hand is going to hold up against a maniac like this I am more than happy to call to the river, where I reraise him (all in usually, these guys usually call)
Old 04-13-2006, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The stronger the hand the less I would reraise against people like this. They love to bet big every street, why reraise and let him know you are strong? If he wants to keep throwing money in the pot without any effort on my part, I won't stop him. Usually a good reraise against this guy makes him go away.

I would reraise against a board with a lot of draws, but if I think my hand is going to hold up against a maniac like this I am more than happy to call to the river, where I reraise him (all in usually, these guys usually call)

[/ QUOTE ]

I shouldve been more specific. I was referring to the OP's PF reraising range.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure how low I would go, But as an example If where in the BB here with 88, I would call his $2.50 and raise it to $7.50. If there was only one over I would pot the flop.
This is because the villian understood that every couple orbits a monster is dealt. Some maniacs you can just push with AA-QQ and they call with A2o. This one was playing to make you fold, not to gaboool and suck out.

I think I might raise TT-77 then start calling for set value. In this example if I flopped a set of 4s, I would play it the same way I did and make up huge implied odds on my flop call.

I would much rather have top pair of kings with a ten kicker then TT with an overcard on the board.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:35 PM

Generally I like this. This sort of thing always has to come down to your read on the maniac though -- there are types of maniacs against who this would be a bad play.

This is also a matter of reads, but against most maniacs it's better to reraise preflop with this hand. Against your garden-variety maniac, who isn't totally insane postflop, I would generally reraise preflop with any hand that I would open-raise with, except for suited connectors and small pocket pairs. This guy appears to be enough of a nutcase that your line looks fine.