Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2006, 03:24 PM

Default AK river laydown

From Memory. Hand I didnt like from last night.

Prima 25c/50c NL

Hero $60
Villian $180

Villian was TAG, Seeing about 25% flops. Seemed solid, I watched him check/call to the river and through out a big bet on the river a few times. Called once and had it.

Dealt To Hero AK (Rainbow flop, no flush draw so suits not important)

Preflop
UTG fold, Hero - Raise $2, CO fold, Button Call, SB fold, Villian in BB calls

Flop K84 (pot $6.25)
Villian checks, Hero Bets $4, Button Folds, Villian Calls. (he took a long time and called, Im wary of the slow play)

Turn K89 (Pot $14.25)
Villian Checks, Hero Bets $7, Villian Calls

Ok why the small bet? 90% of the time here I bet 2/3 of the pot. Here I felt this villian was solid and not check/calling me with something I beat. I decided to bet the least I thought might make him believe he could check raise the river then check behind. At this point Im trying for a cheap showdown/minimize my losses. I made the decicion to make a half pot bet then call 1/3 pot on the river/fold to a big bet that I think is comming.

River K89T4 (Pot 28.25)
Villian Bets $25, Hero Folds.

I made the decision before the river to fold to this type of bet. I instafolded, because I wanted to appear I was laying down junk. Just in case this is a bluff I dont want him to know what I layed down.

My main question. Do you think the half pot turn bet is good point control here, or just inviting a bluff?

remember my read of this villian is he is pretty solid. Against a donk, Id probably pot the flop and turn.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:05 PM

Default Re: AK river laydown

I'd prefer check behind turn / call upto a PSB in this hand than the small turn / plan to call small river bet plan. This type of player just isn't going to put out the 1/3 or less PSB on river you're hoping for.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:47 PM

We've all seen it before, the whole scenario of calling on the flop, calling on the turn and then all of sudden after a rag on the river villan has a hand and bets some fancy amount. I look at this as a typical beginner style slowplay. For me, this would be an automatic fold after the river bet.

So... good fold in my opinion!!!

-smutgremlin
Old 03-15-2006, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We've all seen it before, the whole scenario of calling on the flop, calling on the turn and then all of sudden after a rag on the river villan has a hand and bets some fancy amount. I look at this as a typical beginner style slowplay. For me, this would be an automatic fold after the river bet.

-smutgremlin

[/ QUOTE ]

If you fold to river donks from this thinking opponent every time you're going to get run over. You should consider checking behind on the turn and snapping off these bets until proven he only does it with the goods.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:58 PM

I check behind turn if u think ur losing and then call up to $8 on river. Pot control.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check behind turn if u think ur losing and then call up to $8 on river. Pot control.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may have been best course of action.

Im pretty sure he had the goods. But my check would probably scare him into making a smaller value bet on the river. Probably could of showndown for $10, and with this tecnique I was willing to showdown for $7turn + $10river.

Anyone else have an opinion?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn K89 (Pot $14.25)
Villian Checks, Hero Bets $7, Villian Calls

Ok why the small bet? 90% of the time here I bet 2/3 of the pot. Here I felt this villian was solid and not check/calling me with something I beat. I decided to bet the least I thought might make him believe he could check raise the river then check behind. At this point Im trying for a cheap showdown/minimize my losses. I made the decicion to make a half pot bet then call 1/3 pot on the river/fold to a big bet that I think is comming.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate this logic. For the same reasons you have listed.

1)90% you are betting 2/3 the pot.
2) villian is solid

You didn't bet what you normally bet when you have a strong hand. A truly solid villian would see this and notice you were up to something (typically he would assume weakness). He may try to then push you off a pot like he had done before, or assume his king is good.

3) and your quote "I watched him check/call to the river and through out a big bet on the river a few times. Called once and had it."

You bet out small for a check raise on the river, but if I understand your position in the game, these big bets on the river were NOT check raises. They were straight forward bets.

I don't like this turn play. It gives your hand away or at least what you presume to be the strength of your hand. And the logic behind the play is severly flawed.

Does he normally slow play trips and raise everything else (TPGK included)?

You normally have the best hand on this board and you definately want to show this down. Villian will probably call you down with a king. However, if your read is correct and he does have trips, check the turn and call a PSB on the river. You might lose, but I'm sure the times you see KQ, KJ, QQ, JJ, ect. or total air make up for it.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-smutgremlin

[/ QUOTE ]

According to OP read this isn't the case. Villian is solid TAG. He will capitalize on shown weaknessess. I know I would.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You normally have the best hand on this board and you definately want to show this down. Villian will probably call you down with a king. However, if your read is correct and he does have trips, check the turn and call a PSB on the river. You might lose, but I'm sure the times you see KQ, KJ, QQ, JJ, ect. or total air make up for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ty for the response.

I dont know, this guy isnt a donk.
KQ and KJ are the only hands I beat here, though I would expect him to throw up a blocker not an almost pot sized bet on the river.
Also im 99% sure, he didnt call the flop with and it was drawless.
He also would of re-raised QQ or JJ preflop.

What we do agree on is the turn check behind would be better
Old 03-15-2006, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I dont know, this guy isnt a donk.
KQ and KJ are the only hands I beat here, though I would expect him to throw up a blocker not an almost pot sized bet on the river.
Also im 99% sure, he didnt call the flop with and it was drawless.
He also would of re-raised QQ or JJ preflop.

What we do agree on is the turn check behind would be better

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is that much of a rock that he would not call on the flop with a hand worse than TPTK (ie. he would not call unless he is ahead of you), give up after he calls.

However, a player this tight and predictible is very rare IMO, but you have a better read on him than I do. I still think your hand has showdown value and a turn check and call on the river is the best option. It is also possible that he was drawing to a straight that may or may not have come in on the turn.

I'm not folding this to any modest bet, but I'm also not putting more money than I have to.