Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2006, 09:54 AM

Default Pure bluff

Reads, Villian is pretty solid TAG, has done nothing out of line in 70 hands. However, I noted he bet 100% of the flops that where checked to him if hes last to act.

Villian is 35/14

I have been playing very tight, and have not made any big moves the entire sessions.

Prima 25c/50c NL
Villian on Button ($52 in chips)
Hero in BB ($66 in chips)

Delt To Hero 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Preflop
All fold, Villian Limps, SB folds, Hero Checks

Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (pot $1.25)

Hero checks, Villian bets $1, Hero Raises to $3, Villian thinks, re-raises to $5, Hero Insta calls.

Here Im pretty sure he has a jack, and read my check raise as coming over the top with nothing. He knows, that I know hes been betting every flop last to act. I called instantly to set up the bluff on the turn.

Turn A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (Pot $11.25)

Im thinking here his limp on the button really limits his hand and he hasn't seen any action from me. Im pretty sure he has a hand like JT and wont beable to stand any more heat.

Hero Bets $8

Like it or hate it?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Pure bluff

Dont risk going broke in a non raised pot it aint worth it...you got a free look and missed forget about it....

put it in the muck [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2006, 10:01 AM

fold flop?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:03 AM

Hate it.

At this level, you dont need to pull moves like this to make money. I fold to the reraise after your checkraise and I doubt I even attempt this move in the first place. At higher levels, this might be a good play but at .25/.5 this is long run -EV.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dont risk going broke in a non raised pot it aint worth it...you got a free look and missed forget about it....

[/ QUOTE ]

Ty for the response.
Im definately not going broke, since this is the last bet im putting in this pot no matter what happens.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fold flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold my BB?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ty for the response.
Im definately not going broke, since this is the last bet im putting in this pot no matter what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but your needlessly risking $13 for no reason doesnt make sense to me....
Old 03-02-2006, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hate it.

At this level, you dont need to pull moves like this to make money. I fold to the reraise after your checkraise and I doubt I even attempt this move in the first place. At higher levels, this might be a good play but at .25/.5 this is long run -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree. I posted this because this is non standard for me.

I was trying to experiment with taking some extra chips I'm not entitled to against the one player at the table I know is capable of folding top pair to heat.

Ty for the feedback. Your absolutely right, plays like this aren't required to win 50NL
Old 03-02-2006, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ty for the response.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but your needlessly risking $13 for no reason doesnt make sense to me....

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. On the turn I was thinking risk $8 for $10 and hes folding over 50% of the time. But I put alot of my own money into that $10. Im really risking $8 for $5.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:42 AM

Hi PocketElevens,

I hate it. I don't believe at this level you should be making pure bluff moves with no cards at all. All you have is an 8 high. If you want to bluff once in awhile (rarely) you'll get the chance when you have better cards that miss, at least that way you have some outs. What could you be representing on the flop?

Here is an example of a hand I bluffed ...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) converter

CO ($10.90)
Button ($3.50)
SB ($9.75)
BB ($10.85)
UTG ($11.35)
UTG+1 ($9.45)
MP1 ($8.75)
Hero ($9.80)
MP3 ($9.60)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, MP3 calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.60) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.3</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls $0.30, MP3 folds.

Turn: ($1.20) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: $2.20

(The PF call was based on the table being so weak and passive).

My flop call was based on a number of reads on villain, one being I never saw him bet his draws. I also had good control over villain (important). When he bet I knew he didn't have diamonds. I'm counting 14 outs on the flop, the 5 outs that make my hand with the 3 K outs being somewhat disguised, and the 9 diamond outs I can bluff with. When the diamond hit the turn and he checked I knew I could take down the pot with a good bet.

I don't bluff much at all, when I do usually it's with very good reads like here, plus I have real outs. I've never played a hand for the sole purpose of making a pure bluff. Not needed at my level, which is a couple steps below yours.

Garon