Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 01:45 PM

Default Bad Players Tells Thread

I've played in a few home poker tournaments lately, and they seem to attract several non-players, just there to get drunk and have fun. (players invite work buddies, their wives play etc...) I was able to read these players with a few simple tells but was hoping other 2+2ers could share there experiences with reading basic non-players.
I've got a couple more of these coming up so hoping to learn a few more.

I'll start with a couple sure fire tells I used.

#1 in a multiway pot, there is a bet to you and you have a draw. If you wait a few seconds, the beginners behind you will start to get chips ready for the call. You often have pot odds to draw, where normally you would fold.
This is extremely reliable.

#2 The classic long hard stare at a flop. Yep, they missed it and are looking for outs for straights.
I don't recommend bluffing of course, since they will call with a gutter. But if you have a pair of 9s and the flop comes KQx you know you are likely way ahead.

#3 The posture change. My god its obvious when a new player has just checked there cards to find AA or KK. Eyes go big, shoulders go straight, they sit up in there chair. I even saw a guy put his hand immediately on his chips way ahead of his turn.

Last home tourney I played in those really helped me avoid trouble. If anyone has any they would like to add it would be much appreciated.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Bad Players Tells Thread

I have noticed a very reliable tell on readable (not sure I'd call them all "bad") players.

Players who look at their cards before the action gets to them in general also aren't aware of their body language after they look at cards. If you single out a player and watch him over a period of time, you should be able to tell how interested he is in his cards after he looks at them.

For example, 2 new players to our home game reliably set the cards a little further towards the muck, and noticeably don't pay much attention to the action as it swings around to them if they have looked at their cards and don't like them. Some players actually keep their hands on the edges of their cards b/c they plan to muck them.

Likewise, if these players like their cards, they noticeably watch the action as it comes towards them.

I read somewhere that the hands give the most reliable tells. When I'm looking for tells (I don't give a big edge to tells in general) I watch the hands first. Once in a while, I think I do get an impression from doing this as to the relative strength of a player's hand.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:03 PM

You must have missed this.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(not sure I'd call them all "bad") players.

[/ QUOTE ]
I shouldn't of said bad players, What Im actually refering to is the "Non-players" that show up to these occasional big home tournements. Perhaps playing poker twice a year.
These players do not know what a tell is or even consider if there actions are giving away information. So they are incredibly readable.

[ QUOTE ]

Likewise, if these players like their cards, they noticeably watch the action as it comes towards them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Have picked up on this and its very reliable.

[ QUOTE ]
(I don't give a big edge to tells in general)

[/ QUOTE ]

Against regular players I agree, I get more information from studying there betting patterns. Against total novices, I find they give away a ton of information.
Which is handy since they are the ones that could have any two cards and give you a real problem if your not paying attention.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Against total novices, I find they give away a ton of information.
Which is handy since they are the ones that could have any two cards and give you a real problem if your not paying attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you tried watching them as the flop is dealt (rather than watching the flop yourself)? I find this actually works against most players.

If I think I might be up against big cards and not a pocket pair, I will try to inconspicuously watch the player in question when the flop is dealt. It's sometimes easy to trace their sightline to a particular card on the flop. Also, if the flop misses them, they will quickly look away and look toward the player the action is on expectantly before looking back at the flop to try to interpret its texture. If their eyes linger on a particular card, I think the card has helped them.

Honestly, whenever I actually pick up a tell on someone, it seems like I don't have a hand to capitalize! One reason that I am studying hands for tells is because I'd much rather have a tell on the better players in our group, the ones that are accomplished at being consistent in their face and body language.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you tried watching them as the flop is dealt (rather than watching the flop yourself)? I find this actually works against most players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. But I find the long stare is because they missed. They dont see any pair and are looking for any possible straight draws.

When the flop two pair the look is very fast. Then the eyes go to you or there chips.