Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Fish Oil

[ QUOTE ]
Does this stuff make most people's farts smell horrible, or just me?

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't take fish oil and my girlfriend tells me my farts smell like garbage fwiw
Old 10-31-2007, 10:24 PM

is fish oil necessary if you eat a lot of salmon (say a pound a week)?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is fish oil necessary if you eat a lot of salmon (say a pound a week)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that a lb is that much. I would say that it can never hurt. Most peoples diets are so out of whack, esp. the amount of omega6 you get in relation to omega3, that you will almost never be running a surplus of omega 3, or too much fish oil. Like everything, you can overconsume, but I think that is on the scale of 10-20g of fishoil/day. When most people take no more than 4g a day if they are lucky. So short answer, don't worry about it. I try and eat a lot of omega 3 enriched food and don't change my fish oil intake based on my diet...
Old 11-01-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does this stuff make most people's farts smell horrible, or just me?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate the way taking fish oil makes my perfume scented farts smell all horrible now. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2007, 08:24 PM

I don't know the recommeded amount of omega 3 we should get per day, but i'm with azk, the odds of you ever overconsuming omega 3's are pretty much nonexistant unless you're overusing supplements.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know the recommeded amount of omega 3 we should get per day, but i'm with azk, the odds of you ever overconsuming omega 3's are pretty much nonexistant unless you're overusing supplements.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you take too much it thins your blood or something and you get nosebleeds sometimes I think. It's happened ot me anyway.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:56 AM

I think that's a bit of an extreme. Yes, it thins your blood. Yes too much of it could potentially thin your blood to a dangerous level potentially leading to a medical condition. Do you have any idea how much this would have to be? More than 20 -30 g/day, or according to my fishoil sources (25 gels) or 10-15 TBSP. Not [censored] likely that you are consuming this much.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:23 PM

You can take fish oil in "burp free" capsules. This is the way to go if you like capsules. I get fishy burps from regular ones.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that's a bit of an extreme. Yes, it thins your blood. Yes too much of it could potentially thin your blood to a dangerous level potentially leading to a medical condition. Do you have any idea how much this would have to be? More than 20 -30 g/day, or according to my fishoil sources (25 gels) or 10-15 TBSP. Not [censored] likely that you are consuming this much.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are cases of people taking this much fish oil. Famous strength coach Charles Poliquin recomended a lot of fish oil and there was a following for it.

Poliquin said,

"Anyone who wants to put on muscle and lose fat should be on 30-45 grams of fish oil per day. That's just three tablespoons of fish oil. It would be a pain in the ass with capsules though because that's around 45 capsules per day, but it's easy with a straight oil."

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...2&pageNo=7

I, Packard have never gone above 15 grams of fish oil a day so I can't comment for sure the effects. I know that there was a thread about this and some people reported positive changes with the 35+ grams of fish oil dosage
Old 11-02-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

There are cases of people taking this much fish oil. Famous strength coach Charles Poliquin recomended a lot of fish oil and there was a following for it.

Poliquin said,

"Anyone who wants to put on muscle and lose fat should be on 30-45 grams of fish oil per day. That's just three tablespoons of fish oil. It would be a pain in the ass with capsules though because that's around 45 capsules per day, but it's easy with a straight oil."

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah pretty sure it was when I got bottle of fish oil and just chugged out of it.