Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 03:24 AM

Default Bicep Tendonitis - how long to wait before lifting again?

Hey guys, I had a strain in my left bicep that really bothered me starting last Friday, to the point where I felt sharp pain if I flinched the wrong way, and my upper back shoulder felt tense as well. It's a week later and I've iced it multiple times a day, switched the shower water back and forth from hot to cold (read that was a good thing to try on WebMD, might be wrong), massaged my arm/shoulders with Aspercreme 2x a day and hit the whirlpool a few times later in the week. I feel fine for the most part now, but how much would you suggest, if any, much longer should I stay away from lifting, or a better ?, how long of a break have any of you taken in previous times to minor injuries/strains?
Old 10-27-2007, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Bicep Tendonitis - how long to wait before lifting again?

I did something to my left booby muscle in the bench press. It's in my log, too lazy to look at it now, but I must have taken about a month off the bench press. txredman recommended that I take that long off, and I'm sure he has plenty of experience to know.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I did something to my left booby muscle in the bench press. It's in my log, too lazy to look at it now, but I must have taken about a month off the bench press. txredman recommended that I take that long off, and I'm sure he has plenty of experience to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes, I can't fathom taking a month off of almost all upper-body exercises! The other day I did good mornings, squats, leg press and cable ab crunch with no problems except for lifting the barbell over my head to put on my neck/back. Obviously I'm gonna stay away from bicep curls, but would bench press/shoulder press/deadlifts be bad ideas?
Old 10-27-2007, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes, I can't fathom taking a month off of almost all upper-body exercises! The other day I did good mornings, squats, leg press and cable ab crunch with no problems except for lifting the barbell over my head to put on my neck/back. Obviously I'm gonna stay away from bicep curls, but would bench press/shoulder press/deadlifts be bad ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]
I did military press and other stuff, just took time off bench. It just hurt at the bottom of the movement, so it was pretty specific to that exercise, and I was able to do other things like pullups I believe.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:32 AM

Burdzthewurd ,

I would just drop the biceps exercises for awhile and concentrate on back movements like rows and pulldowns and see if you can do these without further aggrivating the biceps discomfort.