Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 11:45 PM

Default Questions concerning dorm rooms:

I have a few questions...

1. First year student, better to live in a dorm room or get own apartment? (I'm aware that at some universities firt year students are required to live on campus, but some allow them to live on campus. Discuss the pros/cons of each.)

2. Easy to have girls stay overnight in your dorm? Yes or no? I know there are rules prohibiting this kind of stuff from happening but is it a frequent occurence? Is it easy to do?

3. Easy to drink in your dorm room?

More to come later.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Questions concerning dorm rooms:

Living in the dorms for your first year is probably a good idea just so you can get to know some new people.

The next two questions vary a lot between schools. What kind of college would you choose to go to that wouldn't allow girls in your dorm?

It's generally easy to drink in the dorms, but it depends on how strict your RA is and how careful you are.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The next two questions vary a lot between schools. What kind of college would you choose to go to that wouldn't allow girls in your dorm?

[/ QUOTE ]

The question was more geared to whether or not it was easy to have them stay. After reading over the residence guidebook from the college i'll be attening, girls are allowed in the dorms during normal hours but cannont be there past the times. In your experience, is having them stay overnight doable if you are smart about it?
Old 06-04-2007, 12:19 AM

sigh...just tell us what school you're going to and why they have that dumb rule.

Definitely live in the dorms freshman year, so that you'll meet people. Obv it's possible to meet people other ways, but on your hall is super easy.

After freshman year, i say move off campus. I go to NYU and starting in sophomore year the halls weren't social at all (thus, no benefit to living on campus).

The good thing about living in a dorm as a freshman is that everyone is in the same boat as you: They don't know anyone and are eager to meet people and make friends.

As far as drinking, this again varies by school. It's probably prettyb easy though, as long as you're not a moron. Have a reasonable number of people over (as in 4 people if you have a double, 6 for a triple, etc.), don't blast music, and carry the beer/liquor in in a backpack or other inconspicuous bag.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:30 AM

i think it's a good idea to live in the dorms freshman year. there are things that suck about it, but it will be much tougher to meet new people, etc. off campus.

as someone mentioned, the other two questions will depend on the school
Old 06-04-2007, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think it's a good idea to live in the dorms freshman year. there are things that suck about it, but it will be much tougher to meet new people, etc. off campus.

as someone mentioned, the other two questions will depend on the school

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-04-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The question was more geared to whether or not it was easy to have them stay. After reading over the residence guidebook from the college i'll be attening, girls are allowed in the dorms during normal hours but cannont be there past the times. In your experience, is having them stay overnight doable if you are smart about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless it is an evangelical Christian school or a military academy, what school doesn't have co-ed dorms by now? I don't think I've even visited a school that didn't, except for a few all-women's colleges.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:55 AM

Some southern schools don't. I know Ole Miss for the most part doesn't. I went to Cornell and we had co-ed floors. Only thing that sucked is my ugly ass roommate had the ugliest girl in the world as his girlfriend. I never really caught them doing any thing really nasty, but it was a sick sight to see them together.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:22 PM

Live in the dorms at least your first year.

Girls staying over, what's the problem? Don't be an ass to your roommate and have them there all the time though.

Drinking, I can't see the difficulty unless you don't have doors? Don't be dumb.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:57 AM

Well here (university of south carolina), the rules very by dorms. The regular freshman dorms that are not co-ed it is really hard to have a girl over night. In the co-ed ones its extremly easy as she either lives there or you get another girl to sign her in. Also some dorms that have freshman living with upper classmen are lucky enough to have an open policy.

As for drinking its extremly easy to do in most dorms unless your RA is a huge huge jerk and even then if you keep numbers down its still very easy. As for if you should live on campus, without a doubt the answer is yes for freshman year