Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 03:17 PM

Default 10/15 NL- opinions on this laydown.....

10/15 NL cash game (I know, wierd limit) at the Trop in AC. 7 players at the table, pretty much all of them ABC. My table image is tight. I'm in the big blind with 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Huge hand, I know. UTG raises to $45 pref (standard raise), one middle caller, and I call. Flop 322 rainbow. Bingo. Checked around. Turn Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] putting a flushdraw out there. I check, raiser checks, button bets $75. I call b/c I don't want to loser the riaser, which I don't. In fact, he raises $250 on top. I IMMEDIATELY put him on aces. button folds, I call with the intention of checkraising on the river. River is A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check, he bets $400. $875 in the pot, I have $3500, he has me covered. I go into the tank and fold face up. Table goes wild, I'm an idiot, he's got AQ, blah, blah blah.....

Before calling me a whackjob, here's my reasoning: This guy is ABC, hasn't shown a bluff in the day and a half I played with him. Always bets out on the flop after raising preflop when 2-3 handed. So he checks the 322 flop? Would he do that with AQ? Not afraid of a free card...... hmmmmm. He's got something, that's for sure.

OK, so I've eliminated AQ, what's left? With KK he doesn't bet $400 on the river. With A2 he doesn't preflop raise. QQ is possible, but he probably bets the flop for fear of an A or K coming. At this point, I'm about 90% sure he's got AA or 33, with 5% going to a bluff and 5% going to AQ. Looking back, it's not that hard of a fold in my eyes. Granted I'm getting 3/1, but I have him on such a small range of hands (2 really), that I think folding is correct even though I flopped a boat with garbage.

Privately, he told me he had me and he doesn't understand how I could lay that down. He wouldn't say what he had, but the more I think about it, I think 33 is more likely than AA because of the check on the turn with 2 hearts out there. Or maybe he was saying that to make me feel better, who knows. At least 3 people on the table said he would've had all their money, which goes to show how bad at reading hands they are.

And yes, I could've pushed on the turn but why? He most likely lays down the aces, and if I could get another $1000-$1200 from him on the river and there are only 2 cards that beat me (I thought he had AA at the time), checking gives me the greatest equity.

Thoughts?

Lee

ps- By the way, this face-up fold helped me snap off no less than three bluffs from other guys at the table over the next 5 hours.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Re: 10/15 NL- opinions on this laydown.....

i dont mean to come off as insulting, but that is just a terrible terrible terrible fold. If you cant bring yourself to raise the river at least call. wow.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:27 PM

Dude I play SSNL and know this is bad.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:30 PM

I appreciate your opinion, but please give some reasons as to why you feel my thinking is incorrect?

Do you think he was bluffing $400 on the river in an $875 pot after I called $325 on the turn? Do you think he checks the flop and check-raises the turn with AQ? I feel blindly calling because I have a big hand without thinking the hand through isn't usually the best way to go.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:37 PM

you should be a detective
Old 03-12-2007, 03:45 PM

you need to put more money in on this hand, simple as that. On the flop you're going for a check raise. fine. On the turn, if you put him on aces why don't you raise on top after the 250, surely he won't fold then. And besides, you should have check-raised; you have a 3500 stack and you want to get it in. You can't do that by check-calling $75 bets.

On the river, you fold. I mean WOW, you FOLD. First of all, there is no reason he cannot be valuebetting a worse hand, especially AQ. This is not a situation where all you beat is a bluff. And of course calling alone seems to be missing tons of value. Its hard to believe that there aren't any worse hands this guy could have that would pay you off - again, especially AQ.

Even if AQ, QQ, and AA are the only hands he could possibly have, there are 3 aces left in the deck for 3 ways to make AA and there are 3 aces and 3 queens left for 9 ways to make AQ. And there are 3 combinations of QQ. 6 hands you lose to 9 you beat. You are getting 3:1. You must AT LEAST call.

And of course he should show up with Ax[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 45, a missed heart draw, etc. at least some of the time.

This hand is atrocious.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:54 PM

scccaarrrreddd monneeeeeyyyy
Old 03-12-2007, 03:57 PM

I made at least a few $500-$800 calls with middle pairs on the river in this same game. I went with my read here. In no way am I scared money.

Lee
Old 03-12-2007, 04:01 PM

This is obviously a joke.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:02 PM

Yeah actually the only scared money option there is a call. Folding that you clearly care more about the game and making sick plays than the actual money.