Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2006, 10:48 PM

Default Re: made a big mistake in this hand

Anyone who says check shouldn't play higher than 100$
Old 11-22-2006, 11:45 PM

I assume you say that because it's obviously a "tricky" check and any decent player would be suspicious. However, you can't say you wouldn't call value bets all the way down with KJ if a K hits the turn. This is not a hand where you're likely to end it, so why not try and get paid off a little?

I think you're more likely to get paid off incrementally on the turn and river if you check the flop, than induce a bluff or call on the flop by betting. The only thing you're risking is if he has a lower pocket pair and a high scare card comes.

I'm a big proponent of continuating (a word?) my preflop raise when I hit a big flop (a set for example), but if the flop is too big and they're most likely not calling with 90% of their hands, I like to let them catch up a little and make a few dollars.

Lee
Old 11-23-2006, 12:06 AM

Yea they'll call value bets w/ KJ if they hit the turn...But they'll also call a bet on the flop. UP TO THE POT!!! Then check the turn and they'll come out w/ 12x the blind and you can smooth raise. Have to risk winning nothing in order to win a big pot
Old 11-23-2006, 12:24 AM

You're making a major assumption in thinking most opponents will call the flop with KJ (I wouldn't in most cases), but even if they do, they won't call with JT, K3, Q8, T9 or other marginal preflop hands that have a chance to hit if you give them a free card. Plus, they might call the turn on a chase and might call you down with K hi on the river if you're value betting appropriately. I think you're going for the kill here when it's unlikely to work, and in the process giving up chips you could have won if everything didn't happen exactly like you wanted it to. You need too many things to happen for your play to work- you need them to make a bad flop call AND catch the turn while in my scenario, they might not need to catch anything, but even if they do you get paid off somewhat.

Lee
Old 11-23-2006, 12:34 AM

"Post villain is tricky and aggro."...the play is to bet sir. Clearly situational and if thats the situation, Bet everyday and twice on Sundays
Old 11-23-2006, 01:46 AM

Checking and betting both seem pretty ok to me given read. If hes passive I would probably be in favor of checking.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:54 AM

In the very similar hand I played, listed half way down the thread, I believe I got paid because I checked the flop.

I dont think I would have gotten a call if I had bet the flop nor do I think Villain would have called if I had raised him on the turn. He finally had a hand when all the cards were out and I won a big pot.

Aggro & tricky players make their money on dangerous draw heavy boards. These flops we are discussing here are so clear cut ... you've flopped the essential nuts with no draws. I think you make more in the long run if you check a flop like this.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:09 AM

Youve changed my mind actually, checking seems to give villains more oppurtunity to take a call to show down or bluff line.