Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Trade Stoudamire for Garnett?

[ QUOTE ]
Let's not forget they'd be left with no bench. KG would have to play C, too. Amare fits in the Suns offense much better because he's dominant offensively; it'd be interesting to see KG's more passive game try to adapt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Simmons dealt with the bench issue. Sign a free-agent (like Barnes from GSW), then use the two first round picks for Noah and Acie Law:
[ QUOTE ]
Check out this nine-man nucleus: KG, Marion, Bell, Barbosa and Nash as the starters, with Noah, Diaw, Law and Barnes coming off the bench. They'd be covered for every conceivable situation (smallball, grind-it-out ball, run-and-gun, you name it) and they'd be led by two desperate superstars (KG and Nash) who'd basically be ready to give 10 years of their lives to win one title.

Would you bet against that team in the 2008 playoffs? Me neither.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-17-2007, 02:48 PM

CDS,

Agreed (except for Barbosa. They have him on the cheap right now). Here's the thing. So much depends on the lottery. Even though the free agent market isn't stellar, I'm really excited about this offseason, because with a pretty stocked draft, some interesting scenarios as far as who gets what picks, and some teams looking to shake things up. So until we know PHX's position in the draft, it's hard to speculate them making this sort of monster trade involving one of the league's best young big men.

If they get the 4th pick from Atlanta, they have tons of options. Could just stick with the pick, could try to trade up by shipping Marion + the 4th pick + something else to grab Durant. Or they find a lot of value in the pick and ship Marion for other pieces.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:48 PM

If I was the Suns owner I'd be of course willing to keep Nash and Amare (big men are a huge plus in the NBA). I'd move Barbosa, Diaw and Marion if I had to with more pluses to keeping Diaw and Barbosa cause their contracts will be smaller then Marion. The rest of their team other than Bell is pretty much cheap role players that can be filled with the draft picks and or cheap vets. Now that they have been successful it's going to be easier to get cheap vets to come over ala Finley and B. Barry on the Spurs. They just can't overpay like they did for Banks in the offseason.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KC,

Suns pretty much ahve to deal Amare/Marion/Diaw/Barbosa in the next year or two to remain competetive and under the lux tax.

So while I'm not sure they will trade him for Garnet. I'd bet on Marion or Amare being traded this offseason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the trade suggested in this forum before. It'll never happen, but Marion and the 4th pick (assuming the Suns get this pick, of course) for the 2nd pick (presumably Durant), would be great for the Suns.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:52 PM

Just looked at the salaries. I didn't realize Marion got paid that much. He's the highest paid player on the team.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
KC,

Suns pretty much ahve to deal Amare/Marion/Diaw/Barbosa in the next year or two to remain competetive and under the lux tax.

So while I'm not sure they will trade him for Garnet. I'd bet on Marion or Amare being traded this offseason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the trade suggested in this forum before. It'll never happen, but Marion and the 4th pick (assuming the Suns get this pick, of course) for the 2nd pick (presumably Durant), would be great for the Suns.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the conventional play of what will happen if the suns get the #4 or 5 pick--knowing the suns luck though Atl will win the lottery.

Trade Marion+#4/#5 pick plus maybe one more 1st rounder for the #2 and draft Durant. Signing Barnes would still be a good move I think.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:11 PM

i believe the consensus is whoever gets into the #1 or #2 spots will not relinquish it w/o a king's ransom and marion plus the #4 probably won't get it done... i think if you throw in barbosa you could probably get someone to listen...
Old 05-17-2007, 03:30 PM

I'd be happy for KG in Phoenix, Minnesota is a dead end and its really tough to watch him play nowadays
Old 05-17-2007, 03:35 PM

Marion + 3 1st rounders for KG + Minn 1st rounder.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Marion + 3 1st rounders for KG + Minn 1st rounder.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather keep Stoudamire than Marion also. But I don't think he'd be considered as valuable as Stoudamire (to Minn).