Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Re: ***Official 2006-07 FA Cup Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
How important is the FA Cup?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very important for all but four teams really, who'll only perk up when playing each other/getting near the final. For the importance of the Cup to those four, see Man United in 1999/2000. It goes something like this:

Champions League > Premiership >>>>> money >>>>> FA Cup >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>> League Cup
Old 01-29-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think if I was say a supporter of a team in the UEFA cup I would rather win the FA cup.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really get why and I don't think many fans share that opinion, check Jared's threads from a few months ago when Sevilla won the UEFA cup, much more important than winning the Spanish Cup for him I'm sure.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think if I was say a supporter of a team in the UEFA cup I would rather win the FA cup.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really get why and I don't think many fans share that opinion, check Jared's threads from a few months ago when Sevilla won the UEFA cup, much more important than winning the Spanish Cup for him I'm sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brits care alot alot more about the FA cup than Spaniards care about the Spanish cup. Forieghn players are often surprised by just how huge the FA cup is in England and Wales.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:02 PM

He may be saying that as a kid, most of them dream of winning their countries biggest tournament. The only thing that could be bigger for a little kid is a World Cup. However, as you get older, the bigger European championships probably mean more. I am trying to compare this to another sport, but I think soccer is really the only one where there are true international club competitions.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How important is the FA Cup?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very important for all but four teams really, who'll only perk up when playing each other/getting near the final. For the importance of the Cup to those four, see Man United in 1999/2000. It goes something like this:

Champions League > Premiership >>>>> money >>>>> FA Cup >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>> League Cup

[/ QUOTE ]Whoah, CL before the league? Not sure if I agree with that, at least based on what I have heard/read.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:14 PM

Team that has never won the PL would rather win that. Team that has won the PL and never won the CL would rather win that.

It will depend on what the team has achieved recently.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whoah, CL before the league? Not sure if I agree with that, at least based on what I have heard/read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I didn't put too many arrows in between those because it's quite close. But for the most part I'd say they're close. I think the only top 4 team where the league is easily more important is Liverpool, as they already luckboxed the CL recently and haven't won domestically post-Sky.

If Platini's "only three teams from any one country in the Champions [sic] League" proposal goes through, the domestic league suddenly becomes more important for obvious reasons.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:40 PM

dude, don't even get me started on this Platini guy. His plan could have serious negative repercusions to euro soccer.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dude, don't even get me started on this Platini guy. His plan could have serious negative repercusions to euro soccer.

[/ QUOTE ]

"this Platini guy" was a former euro and world player of the year and has been involved in the inner workings of UEFA and has done stuff for FIFA since he retired from the game.

Actually, his plan will make the european game stronger as it will place a bigger emphasis on the domestic leagues and UEFA Cup and also possibly also make it better for smaller clubs to get a piece of the money pie that floats between a handful of clubs. He has also retracted a bit from his original stance of essentially reverting the CL to the ECC where it used to be a two leg KO cup until 92
Old 01-29-2007, 06:17 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

losing the group stage would suck imo. the 2 group stages they had before seems crazy, but having a group stage followed by a 2 leg knockout stage is pretty rad in club competitions imo.