Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Futurist Magazine\'s Top 10 Predictions for 2008 and Beyond

Futurist Magazine's Top 10 Predictions for 2008 and Beyond

Thoughts / comments anyone?
Old 10-09-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Futurist Magazine\'s Top 10 Predictions for 2008 and Beyond

I had heard numbers similar to what #1 would imply, and am glad to see it reiterated, especially since I've also heard that, "deflation will be the new inflation."

I wish there were more info on #5. Probably gonna find a way to get my hands on the magazine just to read more about that.

I first read #6 as if it meant that water will cost more money than oil, but I think it implies it will be the same as oil in the sense that most Americans will still be able to afford all that they could want, but it will affect their budget significantly. There have got to be ways to make it so this isn't a devastating problem.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:38 PM

Most of it seems fairly sound. I've heard all of it. Notice that society is a complete police state.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:27 AM

how long until society becomes completely cashless? I mean, cash is still used for a ton of things today....
Old 10-10-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how long until society becomes completely cashless? I mean, cash is still used for a ton of things today....

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope it doesn't happen. Cash gives a measure of privacy and anonymity that makes it invaluable for keeping big brother at bay. Don't get me wrong. I use plastic a lot, but for things I really want to keep private, I prefer cash. I'm sure a lot of people will now say "Why should you care if you have nothing to hide?", and "We need to eliminate cash so the terrorists don't win".

The predictions of another cold war with Russia and/or China are disturbing, but may be correct.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope it doesn't happen. Cash gives a measure of privacy and anonymity that makes it invaluable for keeping big brother at bay. Don't get me wrong. I use plastic a lot, but for things I really want to keep private, I prefer cash. I'm sure a lot of people will now say "Why should you care if you have nothing to hide?", and "We need to eliminate cash so the terrorists don't win".

The predictions of another cold war with Russia and/or China are disturbing, but may be correct.

[/ QUOTE ]
It occurs to me that you'll always be able to pay cash -- no printed paper money just means that you can use gold or silver directly, if you'd like certain transactions to remain private. In fact, judging by inflation, this kind of strategy may have additional advantages as well.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:09 PM

I definitely see #9 coming true. It's one of the few places on Earth that has not really been tampered with. Eventually we'll have to rob it of it's natural resources. It's what we do.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cash gives a measure of privacy and anonymity that makes it invaluable for keeping big brother at bay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the e-cash solutions can be used anonymously.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:53 PM

1) I think this says more about the devaluation of $1 million over the years than it does about widespread prosperity. (I assume we're talking about net worth).

2) is pretty banal

3) is fairly standard, depending on what they mean by "another cold war"

4) I don't know nearly enough about the state of printing technology to comment. This might say more about how slow the US has been to update their money.

5) I think "event" is a poor choice of words, but I can't disagree with the the gist of it (extinctions continuing to occur at relatively massive rate)

6) A bit sensationalized. Water will continue to become more important and oil less, but it almost certainly won't drive the global economy like oil did/does. Water will be very big, but the dynamics will be very different from oil.

7) "May grow faster than expected" has to be the emptiest statement of the lot.

8) Without seeing the numbers, this sounds reasonable, but it may say more about how few Africans are imperiled by floods right now than it does about massive numbers in the future.

9) Don't know what they mean by a "full scale rush to develop the arctic". I expect large % increases, but the base levels are so low that this doesn't say too much. The mineral wealth will obviously be exploited, but the quality of lumber is low and don't get me started on freshwater. Environmental risks caused by the opening up of arctic shipping lanes is far more significant, IMHO.

10) I can't agree with the idea that political decisions will be made by "non-carbon life forms". This will be resisted to the very end.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
10) I can't agree with the idea that political decisions will be made by "non-carbon life forms". This will be resisted to the very end.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are already making financial and health decisions.

They can't be too far off from political decisions, especially when those political decisions are geographic or financial in nature (i.e could be reduced to basic problem solving).