Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2006, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Stud/8: Strategy vs LAG no folders

[ QUOTE ]
876 is a hand I like too, but I have to be careful with it sometimes. I like to thin the field with it as well, but sometimes I incorectly complete (IMO) when there are a bunch of limpers already with scary door cards.

[/ QUOTE ] that's a good point. i guess the best thing to do is limp in as well, pray for a 4th st. 9 or 5, and muck 4th st. otherwise.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
876 is a hand I like too, but I have to be careful with it sometimes. I like to thin the field with it as well, but sometimes I incorectly complete (IMO) when there are a bunch of limpers already with scary door cards.

[/ QUOTE ] that's a good point. i guess the best thing to do is limp in as well, pray for a 4th st. 9 or 5, and muck 4th st. otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's usually my M.O
Old 01-13-2006, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
I concede early in the hand if it appears I don't have an advantage - meaning I toss it even if I think the hands are roughly equal because I can't control the size of the pot and i hate just check/calling/praying.
----------
This sounds a little weak-tight, but without knowing exactly what you're throwing away, it's hard to know whether you're giving up too much.

[/ QUOTE ] I think the problem is I have some mental block to check/calling or just calling down a super aggressive player. So when I have only a decent hand like 73A63 on 5th st. and my opponent showing A2k suited bets, i feel stupid calling him down. I would fold a small pot here with a clear conscious against a solid player, who bet into a respectable board .. but the maniac could have complete garbage, a pair of kings, a flush with a better low draw, a gutshot big straight draw, or a wheel draw. It puts me in defensive position, which I think is to the maniac's advantage.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:33 PM

i dunno scaqs, been thinking about 875 vs 753. heads up, give me 875, multiway, I take 743. Both are pretty weak.

I guess the reason I like playing 8 low draws that include an ace is that the ace is so powerful in this game.. but in a multiway pot this hand shrinks up, as the low won't be any good, and if I make aces they might be in jeopardy. But I'm looking for a excuse to play a live ace in this game.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:46 PM

Understandable. I like making excuses to play live aces in this game, if I'm confident that I can out play my opponents later and that they are capable of folding when behind.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:07 PM

yeah, that's a great point. the value of hands changes dramatically vs different opponents. when i'm getting more action than i want, which is usually the norm, i tighten up considerably and get paid off big time.