Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2006, 11:51 PM

Default Re: 8/b - Reraise with wheel draw on 3rd?

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming a) you don’t brick twice, ‘cause you will call fourth if you do

[/ QUOTE ]
You know, I've never really thought about how much needs to be in the pot to call with a 3 card low on 4th. Probably a leak in my game...
Old 02-21-2006, 12:22 PM

I play the hand the same. I'd only have continued on 5th with another non-pair low card, preferably a low club for scoop possibilities.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold to the original bet on 4th, there's a dead 4, dead A (probably more than 1 of each is dead too given 2 other low hands in the pot), clubs are dead, and it looks like you have the 3rd best draw for half of a smallish pot.

[/ QUOTE ] I agree with you, I should have just let it go, so whether to call the additional raise when I close the action is a matter of taste: should I admit now or on 5th st. that I made a mistake. Certainly in middle position, Greenage, I'd have to muck to avoid being jammed: thanks for all your input.

Bremen, you are getting at what I really don't understand fully. First of all, heads up vs a high hand and only a completed bet, I'd muck a brick with this dead 4 hand but call with 345. In a three way pot, I'd be much more inclined to take one off with this hand, as my hand plays much better multiway- I don't have to make a str8 to make money. Which brings me to your points and my original question. It's something of a paradox. My hand is drawing to the nut low and plays better multiway, yet it benefits from being heads up because I can catch the ugly 8 and 7, then backdoor trips or a str8 for free. You have said that a smaller low draw has little advantage. Could you quantify that at all. I mean, 732 vs 532 - who makes the better low more often? Thanks in advance.

Also, what do you guys think of this: the liver my key cards, the more inclined I am to trap. The deader these cards are and liver the rough cards, the more inclined to want to isolate with a reraise - however this is also a bit of a paradox since I'd want more money in with the liver hand and less with the deader - either way, since I played it passively on 3rd I should have mucked immediately.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:21 PM

Another advantage to being the only low draw against the high hand.You may accidently end up with 2 pair & scoop,whereas if other lows are in there,they can take the low side or even win the high side with a straight or whatever.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what do you guys think of this: the liver my key cards, the more inclined I am to trap. The deader these cards are and liver the rough cards, the more inclined to want to isolate with a reraise - however this is also a bit of a paradox since I'd want more money in with the liver hand and less with the deader - either way, since I played it passively on 3rd I should have mucked immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt raising on 3rd will chase the 7s out of the pot.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have said that a smaller low draw has little advantage. Could you quantify that at all. I mean, 732 vs 532

[/ QUOTE ]
Assuming you stay to the river you'll win low by yourself about 50% of the time. With the other low you drop to 40% with about 34% for the 7 low.

To be honest, I've thought about it a bit. You probably do want to play multiway. As you'll make quite a bit when have a better low draw. This assumes you can get away from your hand when you're drawing second best...
Old 02-22-2006, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another advantage to being the only low draw against the high hand.You may accidently end up with 2 pair & scoop,whereas if other lows are in there,they can take the low side or even win the high side with a straight or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ] My current philosophy is to encourage my opponent's mistakes by putting pressure on them. My flat calling on 3rd didn't accomplish this at all .. Some players will limp with weak razz hands then call the two bets cold - I need to encourage this .. they are not making a mistake by calling for just the full bet. If they do call 2 bets, then apparently I'll have a slight advantage and might win a monster pot if I make the wheel. If they fold, then I get the advantages of heads up play + their dead money. I was getting too cute with the ruts before and the forum cured me of that, no I ain't letting in anyone cheap on 3rd unless I have a true monster like 345 suited.