Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2006, 06:35 PM

Default 8/b weak or smart check on river?

The player obviously paired, and might call me with 2 pair, but I thought I was up against a str8 and/or flush draw. I checked thinking most hands couldn't call me as villian would usually raise or fold. Anyone bet here?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($3/$6), Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.67 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.67 SB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.33 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (5.33 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

River - (7.33 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (7.33 BB)
Old 01-12-2006, 06:59 PM

Default Re: 8/b weak or smart check on river?

I think it is a good check, he isn't paying you off for high with anything you beat and you certainly dont want to see a raise here on the river.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:49 PM

thx scaqs. i looked up 'heads up on the end' in Theory of Poker to try to get more information. The considerations of whether to bet also involve the likelihood the opponent will bluff or bet with a worse hand if you check. 8/b is more straightforward because opponents who look low can't really bluff out a high hand. It would have been risky, but I would have bet if my hand was concealed. With the open aces, I gotta check.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:52 PM

I agree completely
Old 01-14-2006, 10:51 AM

I would bet out on fourth. The other guy's board is pretty scary, and I can't fault you for checking the river. It is certainly possible that the other guy will call with something that you scoop, but many times that you are called, you will be chopping. And there is a pretty good chance that will be the one being scooped. If the other guy raises, you have to call, and you can't like it. If checking is wrong, it isn't by much.