Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 04:48 PM

Default How annoying are \"assistant dealers\"?

This is a habit of mine. I like to keep the game moving and I have a little sympathy for how hard dealers work. Here's a few things I do:

- Call hands at showdown, especially in Omaha
- Remind people to put their blinds or antes out
- Push in other people's bets if the dealer is having a hard time reaching (I try to show my hands to prove I'm not stealing from the pot)
- Tell people its their action if it looks like they didn't notice, although I imagine sometimes they're just thinking. I'll look at them and say "action" or do a "palm up point" like a dealer would.
- Feed $1 chips into the pot so the dealer doesn't have to make change to take the rake.

I try to be gentle about it, usually a barely audible "blinds" or "action", but I can see how this might get on people's nerves. I don't recall anyone ever giving me crap about it, but how bad is this?
Old 08-02-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: How annoying are \"assistant dealers\"?

As long as you're not saying "there's 4 to a straight out there" or anything like that, I could care less that you're trying to speed up the action. If I haven't played with you before I'll probably give you more credit than the usual B&M mouthbreather because you've let me know you know what's going on.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:53 PM

I usually try to help by pushing in bets that people leave 4" from their stack with the 4'11" little asian lady dealer is in the box.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:20 PM

I push in other peoples bets regularly. CAZ has some pretty big tables and some very small dealers. For the rest of your list I usually tell the dealer to remind the player i.e.: 'He doesn't know it's on him' or 'Where's the big blind?' I'm surprised you've got to be so active. Where do you play?
Old 08-02-2007, 05:28 PM

That's the thing: I don't have to be this active, I choose to be. The dealers will do all of this, but sometimes I beat them to the punch. They'll remind players to put their blind out, its just that sometimes this slows the action down while the dealer is waiting for the blind so I'll do it while the dealer is putting the cards in the shuffler. I'm happy with the dealers at my place, but the game could always go faster.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

- Push in other people's bets if the dealer is having a hard time reaching (I try to show my hands to prove I'm not stealing from the pot)
- Tell people its their action if it looks like they didn't notice, although I imagine sometimes they're just thinking.
- Feed $1 chips into the pot so the dealer doesn't have to make change to take the rake.

[/ QUOTE ]
The first four are definitely helpful. The last one I try to stay away from personally doing, because it can often cause confusion.

As for how annoying it is, I think sometimes it can get on people's nerves, but I'm sure most people here would agree that the occasional action from the the dealers assistant speeds things up and is good for the game in the long run.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are talking about using white chips to make your bets when you have extra, that is fine. If you are talking about replacing a red chip already in the pot (or even in someone else's bet that is waiting to be collected), that is a big no no in my book.

Everything else is fine and I do them frequently as well. Keeps the game moving and keeps my mind in the game.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:55 PM

Annoying.

Annoying. The dealer will do this eventually before he deals the first card. Time saved -- minimal.

Good. Unless the dealer is one of those short armed ladies who blames the players for her being short armed. Then, I prefer that she be made to work for her tips.

- Tell people its their action if it looks like they didn't notice, although I imagine sometimes they're just thinking. I'll look at them and say "action" or do a "palm up point" like a dealer would.

Unless the dealer's distracted by something else, annoying.

Who could object to that?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:00 PM

I do the same things you do except I have been trying to get myself to stop calling hands at showdown. I don't want to make a mistake and have that be part of the reason somebody mucks a winning hand. I will always correct the dealer when I think the dealer has made a mistake.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:09 PM

I personally never go beyond "button's good", but I'm very glad if somebodya at the table makes tries to keep the game flowing.