Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 09:18 AM

Default Re: $1 MTT - 4h2d in BB was I right to call shorstack\'s all-in move?

Thanks very much for the responses. I've looked into the pot odds a bit more and calculated that it was a call of 7,935 to win 17835 = 2.25 to 1. Therefore, because of his short stack i think the villian is pushing with the top 50% of his hands, so I win 31.2% which is 2.21 to 1. (I suck at Maths so this may all be wrong, sorry)

Also as it's a call that is just about justifiable in terms of pot odds, i thought i should take it as it gives me a chance to take him out of the tourney and if i lose my M is still 6.5 so i know i'm still just out of the red zone (I've just started reading HOH2). Is this illogical? Shouuld i be more concerned with conserving my chips at this point?
Old 11-11-2007, 10:05 AM

I forgot to mention that the Villain had A3s and won.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there an online calculator where I can do the math to figure this out?

I was extraordinarily surprised to see 42o win 30% if villain pushes w/ top 25%... just doeson't make sense to me

[/ QUOTE ]

Get Pokerstove.

People always get confused with really bad hands vs top hands, but remember AA is only about 80% to win. That means other hands have 20% equity. And that's the BEST starting hand.

In OP's place, I wouldn't call with 24o, but it's not really that bad it terms of sheer odds. Some horrible looking hands are actually an easy call here.

The hard part about OP is it's either really well thought out and he's very good at odds quickly, or he's an idiot calling with anything. Since most people can't calculate the odds for this call at all, they assume he's an idiot and laugh.

It's a $1 MTT, it's hard to believe that a player here could calculate those kinds of odds and make the right call.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it gives me a chance to take him out of the tourney

[/ QUOTE ]
This is generally worth very little. It's a common mistake to take a bad gamble to knock someone out. You pay the price 100% of the time, but it only works some of the time, about 30% of the time here. Except when you are on the bubble or at the final table, the value of eliminating a short stacked player is very small, and it is split among all of the players left in the tournament. Your share is negligible.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Therefore, because of his short stack i think the villian is pushing with the top 50% of his hands

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a $1 MTT so villain isn't likely to be any good. In a $1 MTT if you were in villain's spot you should push any two cards. Yes the BB will have odds to call you with almost anything, but normally at this level the BB will make a mistake and fold hands which are an obvious call.