Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 11:56 AM

Default HUSNG -- TT is fun.

This is something like the third hand, nothing as far as reads go.

Stacks are 1500/1500 with 10/20 blinds.

I raise from SB with TT (no club) to 60, he minraises to 100. Sometimes I'll re-raise, but I elected to call here. Any arguments for raising -- and if you do, what to?

Flop comes 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. He leads for 120 into the 200 pot. What's my move and why? If raise but not AI, what to and how do I respond to a 3-bet AI?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: HUSNG -- TT is fun.

Daily double:

From everyone's experience, what hands do people like minraising preflop with? How much of that range is TT+?
Old 10-31-2007, 12:14 PM

i have a hard time getting away from TT. I usually 4bet preflop unless I have a read or some data that could lead me to believe that it would be -EV.

sometimes a min raise from villain could be bad for us. i dont mind how you played this hand but im raising this flop most of the time and trying to get it in there.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:20 PM

Indiana,

What are you raising to?

He folds air, shoves sets, 99, JJ+ and probably the few flush draws in his range. Does your decision change if the flop was rainbow and not two tone? If you had 83 here, would you do the same thing? (only thing that changes is that 99,TT beat you now -- but you also pick up more outs).
Old 10-31-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Indiana,

What are you raising to?

He folds air, shoves sets, 99, JJ+ and probably the few flush draws in his range. Does your decision change if the flop was rainbow and not two tone? If you had 83 here, would you do the same thing? (only thing that changes is that 99,TT beat you now -- but you also pick up more outs).

[/ QUOTE ]

nicho,

im raising to a little less than pot and prolly shoving most turns. and it doesnt really matter the texture of the board that you are detailing here. i kinda like how you played this hand by just calling pre flop, but i dont hate pushing pre either.

I'd like to hear what other posters think about the possibility of just flat calling on the flop in the face of incomplete reads here.

Indy
Old 10-31-2007, 01:41 PM

I think the texture matters a lot. With a draw heavy flop, there are a lot more hands that'll call your raise and be behind. With a rainbow flop, there are less poor hands that'll call you.

Poker brain teaser: If you just flipped over your hands and the best hand wins the pot immediately (no turn or river), would you rather have 86 or 22?
Old 10-31-2007, 01:54 PM

As far as the hand goes, a lot of it is over my head (and I think I would try to get all in preflop).

But with the brain teaser, I'm thinking we want 86. 88 and 66 are both in the villain's range, so with 22 we could lose to a higher set. Whereas with 86 it's much much less likely they hold 88 or 66, and so we just have to worry about 22. Hopefully that's right.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the hand goes, a lot of it is over my head (and I think I would try to get all in preflop).

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that there aren't many hands that the average opponent will get all in with preflop this deep that doesnt have you crushed (JJ+) or is a coinflip. Loose opponents may get in with lower pocketpairs, A7+ or something, so its a much better move vs them. Vs a tight opponent, you're a dog (33% equity) vs his range (TT+,AK). This early, I don't try to build a big preflop pot without a very good hand or without a read that my opponent is willing to get in weak.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:24 PM

It is massively hard to get away from this hand. I think that what you are saying is that you are behind his range on the flop, if you include hands with flush potential, big pockets, etc. Against an opponent that I believe is tough, and that is your assumption (high roller?), then I would want to call the flop and shove a non-completing turn. It is the best way I can think to balance getting the max from draws, stalling a bluff and just out and out losing to a better hand.

Do you believe that this opponent is three-betting with something that hit that 8, 6 or 2? I am currently under the thinking that a good opponent isn't three betting with 22 or 66.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is massively hard to get away from this hand. I think that what you are saying is that you are behind his range on the flop, if you include hands with flush potential, big pockets, etc. Against an opponent that I believe is tough, and that is your assumption (high roller?), then I would want to call the flop and shove a non-completing turn. It is the best way I can think to balance getting the max from draws, stalling a bluff and just out and out losing to a better hand.

Do you believe that this opponent is three-betting with something that hit that 8, 6 or 2? I am currently under the thinking that a good opponent isn't three betting with 22 or 66.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying I don't know.

There are way too many scare cards on the turn to call and re-evaluate I think. If a jack, queen, king, or ace comes and he bets, do we fold? How about a club? This is like half the deck -- it doesn't seem to be best anyway. If we're saying that those cards hit his range, then it means we let him draw out and made a mistake. Also, if the other half of the deck comes, we're still behind to JJ+ and now he's less likely to get in with a draw because there is only one card left. Calling seems really bad.

Yeah -- I have no idea what to do. I've been pointing out problems with various lines, but I don't have a good line myself.