Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Ask me anything about golf

I am very bored right now. So I am opening up questions if anyone wants to know.

Background: +0.2 handicap, played a few pro tournaments, family owns 9 hole course, grandpa PGA pro, brother plays division 1 golf now

I will answer anything about the swing, nothing about technology of clubs or what you should get. IT all depends on the person
Old 08-27-2007, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Ask me anything about golf

I'm 6'2" and I hit the ball a ton. Unfortunately I suck and cannot make consistent contact. I often come over the top -> slice, hit the occasional shank, and hit big fat chunks. The times I manage to come inside-out, I leave it out to the right. But if I move it a little further forward in my stance, I seem to always cut across outside-in.

My most well struck shots are when I swing very very hard, because it seems that's the only time I rotate my body through fully. But by the end of a round, swinging very very hard takes it toll and my shots go to hell.

Obviously you don't have video of my swing, but give me some tips to combine consistent contact with inside-out.

Actually there is video of my swing somewhere in this forum, but I hesitate to link it because I've made changes this year since I filmed it.

Fix me.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 6'2" and I hit the ball a ton. Unfortunately I suck and cannot make consistent contact. I often come over the top -> slice, hit the occasional shank, and hit big fat chunks. The times I manage to come inside-out, I leave it out to the right. But if I move it a little further forward in my stance, I seem to always cut across outside-in.

My most well struck shots are when I swing very very hard, because it seems that's the only time I rotate my body through fully. But by the end of a round, swinging very very hard takes it toll and my shots go to hell.

Obviously you don't have video of my swing, but give me some tips to combine consistent contact with inside-out.

Actually there is video of my swing somewhere in this forum, but I hesitate to link it because I've made changes this year since I filmed it.

Fix me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you already know your problems. You just need it fixed and go more inside out.

Try two things:

1. Tee your ball up regular. Then just behind your ball and to the right tee up another ball (if you are right-handed) that should be out of the way of regular intended path. Hit your "regular" ball over and over. This will ensure that you take the normal path and once you get the repition it will carry over to the golf course. Try it, its harder than it looks.

2. Actually throw your club. Not because your mad, but to try to fix your hands. Move away from the golf ball, do this in your yard or something.
Take your normal backswing and when u come down towards the ball at contact, throw your club. Chances are, well not chances... you will throw the club way left of your intended target. Why? Because you are coming over it like you said. Do this over and over again til you get it right. (I know people out there say sure its easy to make sure you throw it straight..yes... well then do it When you go out on the course, when you swing... visualize u "throwing" your club towards the target.

I like those two drills the best, if they dont work.. come back for others.

Your chunks are more than likely when you use too much right hand. If you are hitting it fat all the time, concentrate on hitting the ball with your left hand. You should be doing this anyway.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:41 PM

When you say "pro" tournaments, which level? PGA, Nationwide, etc?
Old 08-27-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you say "pro" tournaments, which level? PGA, Nationwide, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nationwide and Hooters

USOPEN qualifier (never made it passed both qualifiers to the US OPEN though)
Bellsouth Classic qualifier (i actually played with Vaughn Taylor in that before he turned out to be great... what a day that was)
Old 08-27-2007, 05:49 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

i realize that you are probably going to tell me that i shouldn't worry about driving distance or anything, but i'll ask anyway.

i feel that i am ridiculously short with my game. i can PW to 115-125, but i can't drive past 150 or 175. should i be able to hit longer than that? my best woods club is probably the 5-wood or 3-wood. i don't touch any irons higher than a 6 in my bag. how can i start driving to 225?

i am 5'10", 140 lbs. i used to have a terrible slice with every club, until i started using a strong grip and worked on my takeaway. now i hit a slight fade, but i still struggle with hitting it thin, although this summer i worked hard on it and became much more consistent.

edit: i am also a high handicap, probably in the 30s. i feel pretty bad holding up the course, so i've only played a full 18 holes once, so the HC number is really unreliable.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i realize that you are probably going to tell me that i shouldn't worry about driving distance or anything, but i'll ask anyway.

i feel that i am ridiculously short with my game. i can PW to 115-125, but i can't drive past 150 or 175. should i be able to hit longer than that? my best woods club is probably the 5-wood or 3-wood. i don't touch any irons higher than a 6 in my bag. how can i start driving to 225?

i am 5'10", 140 lbs. i used to have a terrible slice with every club, until i started using a strong grip and worked on my takeaway. now i hit a slight fade, but i still struggle with hitting it thin, although this summer i worked hard on it and became much more consistent.

edit: i am also a high handicap, probably in the 30s. i feel pretty bad holding up the course, so i've only played a full 18 holes once, so the HC number is really unreliable.

[/ QUOTE ]

You definitely need to be hitting the ball farther.
The problem is, I can't see your swing so I can't pinpoint what it is. So lets just go over a few things:

Stance:
Make sure your feet are atleast as far apart as your shoulders are, with the driver alittle more wont hurt and is ideal imo.

Takeaway: Are you hitting the ball too high? Try taking a longer lower swing. Your ball will go lower and more velocity instead of height.

Backswing: Is your club parallel to the target? One thing I like to key on is: When ur at ur backswing ur belly button should point behind you, when u finish ur belly button should be towards the target.

Wrist action on downswing/lag: Ex. Sergio Garcia. meh this causes inconsistency, unless your not using any at all we will skip this for now. Actually, i have a good tip for this but if im not there to watch you can really [censored] up your swing.

Also at address, make sure your hands and wrists are slightly ahead of the ball, making sure your left arm is straight. Your club + left arm should equal a straight line basically . In what I have been taught, don't start with a "V" a la Freddy Couples.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:14 PM

When you play golf causually, do you help other players in your group with tips/suggestions? If yes, is this only if the players asks you specifically for advice?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:18 PM

i'm just starting. most of the time, my ball hooks to the right. how can i fix this? i'm a righty btw.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you play golf causually, do you help other players in your group with tips/suggestions? If yes, is this only if the players asks you specifically for advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

If they ask, yes. Sometimes if they are absolutely struggling I will. Last week this guy shot a 52 on the front so I gave him a couple tips so we could speed up the back 9[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]