Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Re: November [censored] thread

That came by a little quicker than I thought. I am now officially a member of the 500# deadlift club. Felt so good the first time decided to do it again, couldn't get it the second time though. Still very fun. Next week my brother is in town and I'll probably max squats to rub it in his face, but we'll see....
Old 11-14-2007, 06:35 PM

I'm interested in improving my OHS. I don't go to the gym everyday so I can't really grease/groove this the way you can with say pull ups. Instead, I was thinking about warming up with it, everyday I lift so basically MWF. Even on standing press and squat days. My logic is that I am nowhere near strong enough in my core to lift a heavy weight for my shoulders or squat a heavy weight for my legs when I am doing this movement, so it wouldn't really tax those muscle groups if I wanted to work them. Am I making sense? Thoughts?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:50 PM

I did OHS in my warm-up. Whatever trade-off there is between heavy squats and light OHS would be worth it, even it weren't as minimal/non-existent as I suspect it is.

You can use a PVC pipe/broomstick/dowel/whatever to develop the movement also. You won't be penalized/get the feedback as with a load, but I think it is still valuable and something you can do away from the gym.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:19 PM

Thanks Shemp.

What sort of set/rep regiment did you use to improve your OHS? Vary?
Old 11-14-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm interested in improving my OHS. I don't go to the gym everyday so I can't really grease/groove this the way you can with say pull ups. Instead, I was thinking about warming up with it, everyday I lift so basically MWF. Even on standing press and squat days. My logic is that I am nowhere near strong enough in my core to lift a heavy weight for my shoulders or squat a heavy weight for my legs when I am doing this movement, so it wouldn't really tax those muscle groups if I wanted to work them. Am I making sense? Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heavy deadlifts create tremendous strength in that area very quickly. You could just do that. P.S. you can do it with jumpstretch bands at home too, no worries about banging around or taking up space with equipment.

Turkish get-ups are very good for shoulder stability and core strength too, if you have a dumbbell or a kettlebell. You don't even need much weight to get a good response from it.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Shemp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took a few cracks at it with a barbell first. Didn't do very well, but in retrospect what this did was enforce on me the need to keep the bar on the correct path and my need for better shoulder flexibility.

I was able to take this away and work with a PVC pipe on the movement and do shoulder dislocates. The dislocates gave me confidence about where to hold the bar, and how to keep my upper back tight throughout the movement in a very non-threatening situation. I occasionally still do this just to reenforce the movement.

I was very quickly then able to do 1x15 with the barbell, and then added weight to 95#. From there I built to 1x15x95 as part of my workout. And if I was feeling frisky and it didn't mess with my planned work, I might do more sets.

This process took about a month. It felt as much like acquiring a skill as anything to do with strength.

If you are recovering the bar to your shoulders, you should be careful to absorb it with bent knees.

There's really no concern about lower back rounding because you can't keep the weight overhead if you lower back wanted to get into the act-- but it won't anyway, because it has it's own fish to fry.

My concern is with needing to dump backwards, which I've never done-- and I hope in the moment of truth I'll let the bar go and get out of the way. This would be a good thing to practice.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My concern is with needing to dump backwards, which I've never done-- and I hope in the moment of truth I'll let the bar go and get out of the way. This would be a good thing to practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

He shows this in Squat Rx #9 I believe.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Shemp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took a few cracks at it with a barbell first. Didn't do very well, but in retrospect what this did was enforce on me the need to keep the bar on the correct path and my need for better shoulder flexibility.

I was able to take this away and work with a PVC pipe on the movement and do shoulder dislocates. The dislocates gave me confidence about where to hold the bar, and how to keep my upper back tight throughout the movement in a very non-threatening situation. I occasionally still do this just to reenforce the movement.

I was very quickly then able to do 1x15 with the barbell, and then added weight to 95#. From there I built to 1x15x95 as part of my workout. And if I was feeling frisky and it didn't mess with my planned work, I might do more sets.

This process took about a month. It felt as much like acquiring a skill as anything to do with strength.

If you are recovering the bar to your shoulders, you should be careful to absorb it with bent knees.

There's really no concern about lower back rounding because you can't keep the weight overhead if you lower back wanted to get into the act-- but it won't anyway, because it has it's own fish to fry.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the gospel right here!

my path was/is very similar with this lift.

keeping active shoulders really is a key that is ignored by most when they start doing it and if you do that when practicing under no load it helps it become automatic when it is most essential. great advice as always shemp. J.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That came by a little quicker than I thought. I am now officially a member of the 500# deadlift club.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll be the first to say congrats. People, this is just over 5 plates.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That came by a little quicker than I thought. I am now officially a member of the 500# deadlift club.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll be the first to say congrats. People, this is just over 5 plates.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, that is pretty sick...congrats...