Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 04-14-2007, 08:18 PM

Default No display when booting up?!

Hey there.

I just built a system for my friend today, and I am having an issue. The system is turning on fine, and I see the fans boot up, then the CPU fan, but after that, nothing happens. Nothing displays on the monitor, and the system just continues to run.

We were able to get a display, as this happened before, by connecting the AX12 or something like that... to the motherboard from the power supply. We had a picture, and the BIOS couldn't find the HD (SATA). I changed the connections, mainly switching spots where the ATA cable connected to the MoBo, and made sure the power was in. From this point on, everything is blank when the system turns on, other than the powering of the fans, and what sounds like it could be the whirring of the HD. The Vid card fan is on as well.

Using a Gigabyte DS3. Tried the Ram sticks in different spots, and tried with each one of them in by themselves. No luck. Another Note about the memory, the BIOS when we did see a boot screen was saying "Memory running as Single Channel" Couldn't seem to get this to change.

Not sure if the PSU is out, or the Mobo, or the proc, or all of the above. Any suggestions on how I go about troubleshooting this mess? Also, if what, does it sound like I need to have my friend RMA with Newegg?

Thanks. If you need more info, please ask, ill be waiting for responses.

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: No display when booting up?!

Place your RAM in alternating slots to enable dual channel mode. The tabs are usually different colors. But that's not the big deal.

You can have a million things wrong. What exactly happens when you boot the computer in its current state? Everything that happens from the second you press the power button. Do you see the manufacturer's splash screen? Do you get any BIOs warning beeps? Tell us everything, bc your post is kind of confusing and I'm not about to type out the fixes to all possible scenarios.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Place your RAM in alternating slots to enable dual channel mode. The tabs are usually different colors. But that's not the big deal.

You can have a million things wrong. What exactly happens when you boot the computer in its current state? Everything that happens from the second you press the power button. Do you see the manufacturer's splash screen? Do you get any BIOs warning beeps? Tell us everything, bc your post is kind of confusing and I'm not about to type out the fixes to all possible scenarios.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem. Sorry for any confusion.

When I turn the power on, Nothing shows up on the monitor at all. I hear, and see the actual fans running, but nothing at all shows up on the monitor. The computer is "on" but I hear no beeps from turning it on, nor while fans are revving up.

I left it on for 2 minutes to see if something happened, but nothing did. No beeps, or anything.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:52 PM

Well even without a HD you should be able to get to the BIOS. You definatley have a wiring problem somewhere. Your motherboard isn't connected properly somewhere. That would explain why you can't get to the BIOS. Check all connections from your power supply to the MB. Also, what are the specs of all the hardware components primarily the siaxe of your power supply? models, brands, etc.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We were able to get a display, as this happened before, by connecting the AX12 or something like that... to the motherboard from the power supply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this the 12V ATX power connector? A 4 pin connector similar to the big ass 20 (or 24) pin power connector, the 4 pins arranged in a square. Your system will get about as far as you've described without it.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:50 PM

going off what d10 is saying, op may have on older power supply and is missing a 4 pin power connector.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:05 AM

My friend is emailing me the specs.

We do have the 12V ATX connector, and I verified that it was connected.

4 Pin connector, plugged it in seperate from the 24 pin connector (20+4, the cable had the 20 pin, and a side addon that clips in if 24 is available)
Old 04-15-2007, 11:38 AM

Do you hear a few beeps from your computer when you 1st start it up. If so, this has happened to me before. I just restart my computer like 4 times and eventually the monitors start to work again.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:55 AM

No beeps at all. I hear no audible noises other than the fans.

Here are the specs and an update:
Mobo - Gigabyte DS3 rev.3
Processor - Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ
PSU - Raidmax RX-630 Volcano (630 Watts)
Cooling Fan - Arctic Cooler Pro
Ram - Corsair 1 GB (2x512) DDR2 533
Vid Card - PNY Geforce 7600 PCI-e 16x
Sound Card - Chaintech 7.1 PCI Sound

I tried taking it all out, and looked at the processor to make sure it wasn't in wrong. I also ensured all cables were plugged into what were the right spots. I have a 24pin atx connector, and tried booting it with both 20 and 24 pins connected to no avail. I also tried with only 1 ram stick each boot, no luck. My next step seems to be to pull out any type of card other than the video card, and the mobo/processor/fan/ram.

The comp will turn on, no beeping, and it won't display anything on the monitor. I never see the Bios screen, or even any indication that the signal is going from the video card -> Monitor.

I've also attempted to check all ideas given in this thread (thanks for the help so far guys).

No luck [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Thoughts, ideas?
Old 04-15-2007, 01:21 PM

Left out HD As well - Western Digital 320GB SATA 7200 RPM