Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 11:19 PM

Default Simple blind steal

Villain had TAG stats. No specific reads. I lost the hand immediately before against the shortstack and doubled him up, FWIW.

I included the action to the turn. This is an area I struggle with a bit. Is 4betting preflop standard for anyone? How about raising the flop? How about betting the turn? What's the best way to use my position here to take the pot away/extract when ahead? If you do 4bet pre, what's your 4betting range against a TAG or LAG who 3bets your steals a normal amount?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $99.00
BB: $515.30
UTG: $38.50
MP: $78.40
beachbum (CO): $107.50
BTN: $107.90

Preflop: beachbum is dealt 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">beachbum raises to $3.50</font>, 2 folds, <font color="red">BB raises to $11.00</font>, beachbum calls $7.50

Flop: ($22.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $16.00</font>, beachbum calls $16.00

Turn: ($54.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, beachbum ???
Old 07-22-2007, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Simple blind steal

no do not 4bet pf bc if you get it in pf youre never ahead or are flipping unless hes a huge idiot. i check and look to get to showdown here, prolly fold to a river bet against most guys. why bluff the turn when we have showdown value and getting stackadonked sucks.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:27 PM

i usually check behind though i have some passive tendencies. my thought process is i want to keep the pot small even though he may be drawing to ten outs. i basically don't want to invest a lot of money on the turn and fold when he stack-a-donks.

the downside is he might have TT and will fold to a 1/2 - 2/3 pot turn but without a great read i usually side with caution in these spots... or ak obviously and we let him draw for free.

i like it so far though.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:06 AM

The more I think about it, the more I think betting the turn sucks. I would bet it if it was a non-[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] under a 9 though. I don't know, the way I played it felt too passive and not putting another bet in the pot felt wrong.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the downside is he might have TT and will fold to a 1/2 - 2/3 pot turn but without a great read i usually side with caution in these spots... or ak obviously and we let him draw for free.

[/ QUOTE ]

TT is probably the only hand we really care about here. Anything that is behind may not even call another bet, but may bluff the river. Anything that's ahead... well, I'm not sure a lot of those bet the river, but if we're auto-calling most river bets, then checking the turn allows villain to set the showdown price. If we're auto-folding to most river bets, then checking the turn is akin to giving up the pot, which probably isn't so bad either.

Does his range really include worse hands? Yeah, probably. But I think we'll see a free showdown against those often enough to justify checking and planning to fold to a lot of river bets. I've been trying to not be weak-tight lately, but I think it's okay to plan to fold here. As a bonus, we still have A/K as bluff outs.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:47 AM

Yeah, I checked behind turn and folded to a river bet. But I didn't necessarily like preflop or flop.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you do 4bet pre, what's your 4betting range against a TAG or LAG who 3bets your steals a normal amount?

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a recent thread on 4-betting light, but I can't remember who started it, so it'll be hard for me to dig up. Maybe someone else can link it.

It kind of depends on how you define a normal amount. I really don't 4-bet a lot unless I feel like I'm getting run down by 3-bets. And then, probably AQ+ and maybe some lower pairs.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:33 AM

Against some guys you can just fold PF. As it is call flop, check it down.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a TAG or LAG who 3bets your steals a normal amount

[/ QUOTE ]

This is usually ~20% of the time or less, so folding pre is fine. When it's much higher then I'm raising the flop a lot, with mid pairs and overs. If they 3bet us &gt; 30% of the time and Cbet every flop, there's so much dead money in the pot with a massive range that a single broadway over shouldn't really scare us.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:10 AM

Also, nothing is "standard" here. The people who consistently make correct decisions in these spots are crushing 400NL at least.