Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Post why you lower your raises when the blinds get higher.

[ QUOTE ]
I promise you, people react differently to a 2.5x vs a 3.5x raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. Additionally, raises with odd last 2 digits (5699 at 1000/2000) are something I notice a lot of lower level players seeing as a steal and really overplaying some hands preflop - basically, I think you are more succeptable to squeezes here. Either that, or they see the big chip stack size of the bet, think you're shoving, and snap fold.

I think ESPECIALLY for online MTTs this an interesting topic. My thoughts even change on the buy-in cost...still not completely sure where I stand, but I definitely think 2.5bb or so preflop is much more my style in later stages, but I try to change it up anywhere from 2.5-4bb depending on what my stack, cards, position, blah, blah, blah...
Old 05-21-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Why you lower your raises when the blinds get higher.

Maybe I'll try raising 2.5xBB or whatever. Sometimes I think that looks like a cheap steal.

I like to vary my raise sizes. Some hands play better for a large raise. Also, I may want to set up a clear decision on a resteal based on my stack size. It also depends on how the table is playing and other factors.

Some people make big raises with AK/JJ and small raises with AA/KK. People are usually playing scared late in a tournament, so I let them imagine my large or small raise is a big hand, which it might be, but not usually.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People are usually playing scared late in a tournament, so I let them imagine my large or small raise is a big hand, which it might be, but not usually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or is it?
Old 05-21-2007, 09:09 PM

This is similiar to my pearljammed thread from a few weeks ago.... I always raised 3x, but now I use 2.5x, unless there are limpers and I have a monster....

Besides saving money if you are repopped, I feel a small raise steals the antes just as much as a big raise. And besides after I raise big and i get played back at, I dont know if there are pushing because they want the big raise, or because they have a legit hand....
Old 05-21-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And besides after I raise big and i get played back at, I dont know if there are pushing because they want the big raise, or because they have a legit hand....

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but do you think this part is a good thing or a bad thing? I assume you're winning more steals than folding to sqeezes or shoves? I always wonder what works out better...;P
Old 05-21-2007, 09:18 PM

That was a spew. It works out better. I like post flop play late too, so it's better for me.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'll try raising 2.5xBB or whatever. Sometimes I think that looks like a cheap steal.

[/ QUOTE ]

But heres the thing: Most players don't want to risk their tourney on a bluff resteal. The major difference between raising 2-2.5x BB than raising more is not that you're that much more likely to have someone resteal, its that they're more likely to call it. And as very good players(I hope) we want to play postflop when we're in position and have a decent hand. Tournaments are won by doing this imo. Otherwise you're going to have to get run over by the deck to win a tournament.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:04 PM

Re; flop play....

For some reason my flop play has been greatly improved when I raise smaller pf. My biggest issue is raising small on the tournament bubble, and then stacking off 20 bbs when I flop top pair. I've done it 3 times this week.

No matter how much you raise preflop, it should be stated enough that you can still fold! I dont know why I easily do this in the early and middle stages, but never late in a tournament....Maybe this is bbv....delete this.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:08 PM

people have less implied odds with shorter stacks
people play more scared deeper
people dont adjust their ranges (or not enough)
*people have less implied odds with shorter stacks
Old 05-21-2007, 10:55 PM

I didn't thoroughly read all posts but my take is simple.

How much you raise should be dependent upon effective stacks and the $ in the pot, and very very little else.

Personally, I raise to 3xBB until effective stacks get short enough that a 2.5xBB raise is better.

What is that amount? I'm not really sure. On Stars, I find it to be somewhere between the 200/400 and 400/800 levels. It is probably different for different tournaments and different structures.

Anyone saying, "I raise 2.5xBB when the antes kick in and 3xBB before" is just flat wrong. If fact, if stacks are deep and antes are in play, you "should" be raising more than 3xBB! If I have a deep stack and someone raises 2.5xBB to me and I am in the big blind w/antes, I should be calling (and I am) with almost every hand. The only reason to shrink raise sizes is because of effective stacks. Not because of more $ starting in the pot. More $ in the pot is a reason to INCREASE raise sizes (at least against thinking opponents).

Raise Size f($ in Pot, Effective Stacks),

Where greater $ in pot should lead to larger raises and shorter effective stacks should lead to smaller raises.