Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Remote computer set up or vpn service?

Im confused.

1. I know you can run a remote computer lets say in sweden and access it from the states. How hard is this to set up/maintain/ease of use?

2. Is there a simplier way of just paying for lets say a swedish vpn service while in the states?

If so, any big differences? In security or ease of use to set up and maintain.

Whats more ideal for poker playing purposes, I live in sweden half the year, and the other half in the states and would like to play there.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Remote computer set up or vpn service?

1) it is extremely easy to set up, but you have to play poker through a remote desktop interface. You have to find a hosting company in sweden that supplies windows servers (that you trust). You'll have to secure that box the same way you secure your home box.

2) vpns are usually preferred cause you can keep using the same computer with the same PT databases and very little extra setup. I would avoid ANY vpn service that does not give you a dedicated static IP. You don't want to share an IP with someone hacking, spamming, or trying to commit bank fraud (which is common on vpns like findnot). I would say VPN is more secure with less work on your end if you go with a service, but remote computer could be just as secure and all done by you.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Remote computer set up or vpn service?

Looks like Ill prefer #2. Ill follow that advice. Any vpn service with a dedicated static IP that you recommend? I think this will be easier.

If anyone has done this before, please pm me, could use any help I can get.