UTG (t345)
UTG+1 (t1230)
MP1 (t1590)
MP2 (t775)
CO (t865)
Hero (t775)
SB (t785)
BB (t1635)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="red">MP1 raises to t50</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, CO calls t50, <font color="red">Hero raises to t200</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, CO calls t150

Beginning of a 20+2 tourney, so I really don't have any reads, I can only go by the action on the hand. I think my preflop play was fine. My preflop raise got the initial raiser out and the initial caller called my bet. At this point, I'm thinking he's got a pocket of some kind. AA or KK I think he would have reraised me all in. AK is possible, but not likely in my opinion.

Flop: (t475) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
CO checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t200</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to t665 (All-in)</font>

So the flop comes, one overcard. Unless he has AK, 99, or 33. I'm ahead. He checks I bet t200, he check raises me all in. Just Great, an early decision that could cost me all my chips. Did he see my flop bet of t200 as weakness since it was the same as my preflop bet? Did he really not raise me preflop with AA or KK? Does he have AK. That's the only hand (AK), besides 99 that had me concerned. I would have played AK the exact same way postflop. Preflop I would have raised. Since t50 on the first level of a tourney is usually called by many.

The thing that really stayed in my mind was how he viewed my weak flop bet.

I'm thinking of JJ, TT, 99, maybe 88, and of course AK (although I think unlikely because of the preflop play.

I ended up going with my gut and called. Was my line of thinking right? Should I have folded?

The results of the hand don't matter, but I will post if someone wants me to.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:55 PM

Default Re: ($22) QQ facing a check raise all-in on flop

200 bet was weak, IMHO. It says that while you want to win the hand, you dont want to risk all your chips. A "move" would be to understand that since it is so early, no one has reads on anyone else and utilize this to show absolute strength by coming over someone showing strength.

If you hit your K-set or AA wouldnt you put out more of a luring or probing continuation bet on the flop? Your bet seemed like one where you wouldnt mind folding.

I would think you are either way ahead or way behind. If he has KK, does he raise you here? What is he afraid of? The board is rainbow with zero texture.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:56 PM

Well your not folding here. Villains range includes AK, KQ (if hes a donk), and a huge range of PPs. You played it pretty much how I would, I like it nh.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:45 PM

why do you think AK is unlikely, i'd think AK would be his most likely holding but yes there is quite a range
Old 01-30-2006, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why do you think AK is unlikely, i'd think AK would be his most likely holding but yes there is quite a range

[/ QUOTE ]
If you had AK, would you push or massage the pot?
Old 01-30-2006, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By just calling the first preflop raise he's almost guaranteeing that it will be 4+ to the flop. The blinds will most likely call. The sb has to put in 40 in a a pot of 125, and the bb will have to put in 35 in a pot of 165 if the sb calls. Now if anyone else calls before the blinds it will just sweeten the pot more. If he does have AK, he got lucky that I raised preflop and limited the field. I don't have any reads on the player, so I have to go by my thinking of what I would do with AK in the situation. I might be wrong on how I played the hand and that's why I posted it.

Why do you think that AK is his most likely holding?
Old 01-30-2006, 10:04 PM

if I was the CO (and assuming I had AK) I probably would play the hand quite similarly. I'd certainly check raise the flop. Seeing as though you were the aggressor preflop, it would be most likely that the CO would be expecting a continuation bet. Regarding whether I would push pre-flop with AK in the CO, to a raise of 200, i'd probably push 30% and call 70% but i'm sure theres a much smarter methodology.