Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 04:36 PM

Default AKo reraised preflop, hit 2 pair - failed to get value

I don't have poker tracker so I don't have stats for the villian, seemed to be playing TAG. I am not sure where I could have made more money from this hand, on the turn i checked hoping to induce a bluff but he must have been on QQ, JJ or 1010, with this information I was unsure how to approach the river and how to get value.

Also should have i have 3bet him pre-flop, was kinda trying to avoid an all in situation knowing he was tag and a possibility he had a PP because my image was tight.

Any input into the hand appreciated

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($3.32)
MP ($4.30)
CO ($4.94)
Button ($1.65)
SB ($2.08)
BB ($3.25)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.08</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $0.2</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.12.

Flop: ($0.43) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $0.3</font>, Hero calls $0.30.

Turn: ($1.03) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($1.03) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero?</font>
Old 10-10-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Re: AKo reraised preflop, hit 2 pair - failed to get value

As played hero bets .60 on river and probably gets looked up by said range.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:51 PM

Reraise preflop. You're OOP.
I personally prefer to c/r flop or donk turn...
As played, value bet the river.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:16 PM

what is the thinking behind re-raising pre-flop because you OOP? I don't think I understand that.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:04 PM

Well, here's a great place where you see how just calling in position loses you value. You were going for a c/r on the turn, right? Villain checked behind, now you'll go for value and villain will call or fold.

If you had called a 3bet from in position, and villain checks turn after you call in position -- you've still got 2 streets to try and commit him to a call.

OOP, it'll be hard to extract when you hit -- and AK really benefits from seeing 4 or 5 flop cards and has the most equity when it see 'em all to the river. Thus committing with AK isn't too bad from oop -- and the FE of a 4bet is pretty sweet too against a lot of hands that you'll be flipping or a slight dog to (though have proper odds to call with the overlay of a 3bet in there already.)

That's why calling in position with AK is usually okay against, and folding or raising oop is often recommended. Calling oop with AK is never recommended by anyone pf.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:16 PM

ty. yes was hoping for a c/r on the turn. So basically when I do 3-bet preflop thats where I am trying gaining my value, since it cannot be done very effectively OOP on later streets when I do hit.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:48 PM

There was a post in ssnl a while ago and most people like to call AKs oop to a 3b from a tag but some dump AKo.

If you got to the flop like this, I'm donking or CR flop to $1.

If he 3b you with TT,KK,AA you are crushed. He's prob not firing turn with JJ, QQ, etc.

I prob lead turn and play for stacks.

As played, .65 looks fine on river.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:51 PM

4betting AK here pre as a UTG raiser against someone you think has some clue is probably poor. His range is going to be rather tight to begin with and after you 4bet stacks are awkward because you are deep.

you could lead the turn, but you should lead the river for sure.