Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2006, 11:15 PM

Default BelowAbove, Akward Stack with 77

Sorry, no HH. Its that effin' Full Tilt table close glitch.

BelowAbove is UTG+2 with a stack of about T2600, 120/240/25

Table is nothing out of the ordinary, although there is a maniac on the button with about T3500 , who Below doubled up with 1010 vs. QKo the previous hand, who has pushed like 3 out of the last 6 or 7 hands. UTG (~T5400) has limped.

Below elects to limp with his 7's. The table folds around to the laggy button, who pushes. Below calls, and loses to his QJo.

Can someone explain his thinking? I would be torn between a push and a fold here, but I don't think a call would even cross my mind.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:18 PM

Default Re: BelowAbove, Akward Stack with 77

# of times Ron Jeremy has had sex < # of threads about BA over the last 6 months
Old 12-20-2006, 11:42 PM

I really don't see what's so brain numbimg about this. He's in early pos. with 77 and limps hoping to flop a set in a multiway pot and win huge to get back into it. When it folds around to the button who raises, he's HU and hopes to win a race.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:48 PM

AMEN TO THAT !!
Was just going to comment the same thing.
Apparently this BA is some kind of God.
Only time ive seen him play was deep in a FT $150 tourney at my table where he proceeded to win every race SS and sux out with KT os as a 11-1 dog vs AA.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:52 PM

Given the big ante on FT, he could have pushed or raised. He probably likes to limp because he plays well postflop. With 11xBB, particularly in early position, I like to limp a lot of the hands I play.

77 is probably ahead of pot odds versus his opponent's range, so the call is reasonable. He would probably fold 77 to action from 2 players or an early position raise.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:04 AM

Limping with 11 BB's and reasonably big blinds?

Sounds kind of awkward to me. Explain..what are you hoping happens besides flopping a set?
Old 12-21-2006, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Limping with 11 BB's and reasonably big blinds?

Sounds kind of awkward to me. Explain..what are you hoping happens besides flopping a set?

[/ QUOTE ]
How else so you play with 11xBB in early position. I probably limp QQ-AA here. With middle strength hands like 77, you get a read on the other players from the action before committing more chips, which is what BA did.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:11 AM

You certainly would be making a much more aggressive play with <8 BB's. 11, howevever, leaves for a tad more maneuvering. Do you think that the advantages of "getting a read on the other players from the action before commiting more chips" outweigh the disadvantages of "wasting" all-in ammo and subsequently lowering future fold equity?
Old 12-21-2006, 12:14 AM

Limping vs raising UTG with 77 keeps the pot smaller and allows you to fold easier if there's ridiculous action behind you like raise, reraise, where you would pretty much know you're dominated and have to fold without ever seeing a flop.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You certainly would be making a much more aggressive play with <8 BB's. 11, howevever, leaves for a tad more maneuvering. Do you think that the advantages of "getting a read on the other players from the action before commiting more chips" outweigh the disadvantages of "wasting" all-in ammo and subsequently lowering future fold equity?

[/ QUOTE ]
You waste a lot less ammo by limping than standard raising. You are also not necessarily folding to action.