Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 02-01-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Immoral philantrophy?

Is it immoral to only donate to charities that only help people of a certain race? For example, the Mercaz is an organisation attempting to help mainly Jews. I feel it is a good cause as it helps my people who I feel are discriminated against by other charitable organisations around the world. So in a sense, to counter-act that discrimination, I discriminate by only donating to Jewish charities. Is this immoral, or just human nature to "look out for your own"?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Immoral philantrophy?

It's no more immoral than donating money for cancer research instead of giving it to help cure Jerry's kids.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:20 PM

c'mon don't be silly. This is why I hate the word "discrimination". Yes you are discriminating. No it's not immoral. Tactful discrimination is an important skill in life.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:21 PM

I don't see what the problem would be. You're helping people by giving money to charities. As such, any charity that gets your money will always help some people and not others. I wouldn't blame a cancer survivor from donating all of his or her charity money to cancer research or to help people with cancer. The bottom line is that it's your money so you can decide whom to help. As you say looking out for your own is pretty standard in terms of donating.

Also, not sure that it's relevant but I'm pretty sure antidiscrimination/civil rights laws don't affect charitable organizations.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:24 PM

I think, the act itself is not wrong, but obviously it depends on your mindset. For instance, if you would have donated to a regular charity, but decided not to because your money might be going to a black person, and then decided to donate to a pro-white charity because of that, then that is fairly racist. Whether or not that's immoral is up to you I guess.

But if you just donate to a jewish charity because you're jewish, I don't see a problem.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:40 PM

Shouldnt charity go to most in need in general? This was of allocating charity monies clearly goes against that.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:47 PM

No it shouldn't, it should go wherever you think it best serves. Think of it like an investment. Choose where you donate wisely. Picking something close to your heart is completely valid. It carries some meaning for you, helps a cause you believe in, and might brighten up your day.

Besides, "the most in need" is pretty arbitrary, isn't it? How would that be defined? By whoever screams the loudest?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:51 PM

Is it immoral if you specifically exclude Jewish charities because you hate Jews?
Old 02-01-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shouldnt charity go to most in need in general? This was of allocating charity monies clearly goes against that.

[/ QUOTE ]

In theory you are probably right, but how do you decide most in need? Are cancer charities higher or lower than diabetes charities? Is sponsoring a child in Africa more important than sponsoring a child in South America? Trying to decide who needs it the most is a pretty slippery slope.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:24 PM

I try not to give to cancer charities like breast cancer because as a function of how many people are affected by it, vs other illnesses, it is way overfunded. Not that it is a bad cause at all, just more good can come from donating to other forms of research.