Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Showing One Card (after everyone has folded)

[ QUOTE ]
Two different rules:

1. Show one show all, SOSA
2. Show one show both, SOSB. This one sucks, imo

[/ QUOTE ]

agree with this - SOSA is not equal to SOSB.

short example - live NL cash game at a so cal card room. I raise PF with AXs from the button. 4-5 callers. Flop is Axx. Checked around to me, so I bet. Everyone folds. So I'm waiting for the pot, when a player speaks up, "pocket Jacks, huh?". I take his bait and flash the A, then muck the hand with a couple of chips on top as a toke to the dealer. Immediately another player speaks up, "hey, show one - show all!", but is too late as the dealer scoops my cards into the muck and begins a new scramble. A small discussion ensues with one player insisting that SOSA is the same as SOSB. We run the scenario past the first floorman we can grab and he agrees that SOSA is not equal to SOSB.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:38 AM

At Foxwoods there is no SOSB. A guy tried to do it and the dealer basically laughed at him.

Most of the flashing of one card that I see is the opposite of taunting. It is people showing that they would have won with top pair. Why they give out this info is slightly beyond me because it serves to make the player who folded feel good about it.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why they give out this info is slightly beyond me because it serves to make the player who folded feel good about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you don't like the other players in the game feeling good? Some people believe it offers FBP (future bluff premium) and others show a bluff believing it offers FPP (future payoff premium) when you have the nuts in a similar situation.

Personally I like playing with people who think they "gain" when I willingly offer them information even though they are really losing.

Jimbo
Old 11-03-2007, 10:23 AM

I sometimes show one card after winning an uncalled pot on a friendly table and its always the card that makes it clear I had the best hand. If I'm playing at a higher limit, more serious game I never show one way or the other. There's one guy at the 20 game who frequently shows the "off" card when I fold to him. I guess he is trying to play with me, however it only serves to reinforce to me that I made the right play. (I mean, if he really wanted to tilt me, wouldn't he show both losing cards?)
Old 11-03-2007, 11:53 AM

That was a bad call by the dealer. It is definitely not the norm and there is no rule that says that player has to show his other card (unless that cardroom has a special rule which is ridiculous IMHO).
Old 11-05-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(I mean, if he really wanted to tilt me, wouldn't he show both losing cards?)

[/ QUOTE ]

No

Jimbo
Old 11-05-2007, 03:51 PM

The Bellagio employs this rule for tourneys and cash games. The top tournament pros have voiced their opposition to this rule.