Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 09:48 PM

Default Re: ***ROCKETS 07-08***

no one matches up well w/ the spurs+refs

against the mavs, i have visions of that series a couple years ago, when TMac went off.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If they stay healthy all year (probably wont) I would say they have a 30% chance to win the most games this year

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, this is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL I feel stupid, b/c I'm not sure if it's ridiculous that 30% is too high or low.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no one matches up well w/ the spurs+refs

[/ QUOTE ]

finally starting to love this forum again

onlinebeg,

I didnt say he was the only addition, I just said he's the only one I think can have a big impact. I guess Bonzi could too, but he's a big unknown to me right now since I haven't seen him have a ton of success on the Rockets. Maybe Adelman will help a lot here considering he was the coach of the Sactown team, but the teams were/are built a lot differently.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If they stay healthy all year (probably wont) I would say they have a 30% chance to win the most games this year

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, this is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL I feel stupid, b/c I'm not sure if it's ridiculous that 30% is too high or low.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe because it isn't ridiculous at all
Old 10-25-2007, 11:23 PM

quick note... i am referring to most wins ijn the west, i did not account for eastern confrence teams, maybe thats why theres some confusion from assani?? otherwise he's jus bein silly
Old 10-25-2007, 11:33 PM

The only people who don't like Hollinger are people who either lack reading comprehension or aren't logical. There is no excuse, really.

lol @ some guy earlier in this thread talking about how the Rockets weren't even that good last year. Um, plz read:

"And it's not as if Houston was chopped liver a season ago. The Rockets won 52 games, and actually were much better than their record. One would expect a team with their scoring differential to win 57.4, and as those of you who've read me for a while know, differences between real and "expected" wins are almost pure luck.

That came with McGrady and Yao combining to miss 45 games, Wells going in the tank, Snyder missing half the season and the head coach working on his exit strategy.

So what happens if you take that team and add Wells (essentially), Francis, James, Brooks, Scola, and Butler, and give it a coach who wants to be there? It's scary to think, but a gang that had 57-win talent a season ago may also be the league's most improved team."

and to everyone talking about how unlikely it would be for the Rockets to lead the league in wins, do you know what probability is? Baseball Prospectus has to this point been wrong on their playoff odds in every playoff series. Your results-oriented thinking would suggest the playoff odds are no good.

That's why it's odds? He projects the Rockets with two more wins than the Spurs and three more wins than the Mavs (and seven more than the Suns). Someone who's good at math tell me how likely it is that the Rockets WOULDN'T finish with the best record simply going by that projection; I bet it's mathematically more likely they don't even by Hollinger's projection simply because there's this thing called variance.

"PER? OK fine, Yao has the best projected PER, but what would he be picked in a mock draft by NBA GMs, 6th or worse? Then he was nutriding the Spurs all last year and I think he got lucky on that one (could just as easily have been the Mavs or Suns that won the title)."

Too bad Hollinger doesn't claim PER is the only stat in the world worth judging who is the best player in the NBA? Wtf?

All he said was that the Spurs were underrated, their underlying non-luck-based indicators suggested they were the best team in the NBA, and he put them as SLIGHT favorites over the Mavs, who were slight favorites over the Suns. Duh it could've just as easily been the Mavs or Suns winning; again, you act like there is 0 variance in basketball.

It'd be one thing if you bashed Hollinger legitimately after understanding where he's coming from, but when you warp his words and projections into your own strawman, of course you're not going to like him.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:47 PM

Vyse,

I would consider giving your points some merit if you weren't constantly trolling this forum. You should have PMed them to someone else.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Vyse,

I would consider giving your points some merit if you weren't constantly trolling this forum. You should have PMed them to someone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fortunately my entertainment value is not derived how you or anyone judges my points.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:01 AM

vyse, The Mavs were a bad start away from winning 70 games. The Suns were a bad start and a Nash injury from winning 70 games. The Spurs are flaming homosexuals. So the Rockets will win 61 games if they are completely healthy and everything goes well for them, wow Hollinger is a genius. I suppose he'll have to explain why he has this Suns team, technically the best to date, winning the same amount of games as the gimp squad they marched out there in 05-06. Hell, even that team would have won more games if they werent locked into their seed a couple weeks before the season ended. I dont care where he's coming from, that projection blows.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So the Rockets will win 61 games if they are completely healthy and everything goes well for them

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop changing other people's arguments into what you THINK they're saying.