Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Ask Me About Being a Police Officer

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If an officer asks you for identification, you have to show him identification.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
However, in that case, I am thinking you don't have to show ID or anything. You could just walk away and not say a word to the officer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you clarify when you have to show id?

What was your opinion on the guy outside Best Buy who got arrested after refusing to show his id?
What do you think he was actually arrested for?
What do you think you would do in this same situation?

What were you most and least hoping to be asked about?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to show ID if you are being detained for anything. If on a traffic stop, you have to show ID. Any time it is reasonable that I need to know who you are, then you have to show.

[/ QUOTE ]
can you expand on this? When could you ask for ID other than from a car driver? Can someone say "I don't have any ID, officer" and is that any different from saying "I have ID but I'm not going to produce it"?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If an officer asks you for identification, you have to show him identification.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
However, in that case, I am thinking you don't have to show ID or anything. You could just walk away and not say a word to the officer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you clarify when you have to show id?

What was your opinion on the guy outside Best Buy who got arrested after refusing to show his id?
What do you think he was actually arrested for?
What do you think you would do in this same situation?

What were you most and least hoping to be asked about?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to show ID if you are being detained for anything. If on a traffic stop, you have to show ID. Any time it is reasonable that I need to know who you are, then you have to show.

[/ QUOTE ]
can you expand on this? When could you ask for ID other than from a car driver? Can someone say "I don't have any ID, officer" and is that any different from saying "I have ID but I'm not going to produce it"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would ask for ID if I need to know who you are. For example, if I get called to a fight and I know I will arrest you for disorderly conduct, then you have to give me your ID. If you don't have an ID, then I will ask for your name and DOB. I don't mean to look like I'm dodging the question, but maybe I'm not sure how to explain it.

I know there is a section in the book that specifically states that a person has to show identification or give name and DOB. I'm not sure exactly what it states, but when I go home this weekend, I'll take a look.

Like I said, you can say "i have an ID, but I'm not going to show you," but then I'll just ask for your name and DOB.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:52 PM

I'm pretty sure no one has to show a cop ID unless they are being detained. The definition of "detained" is a bit broader than being under arrest but it still requires some type of articulable suspicion that the person you are stopping has or is about to commit a crime.

A cop has the right to go up to anyone and ask them who they are, why they are in the area etc., but the person does not have to answer any of those questions unless they are being detained in connection to the commission of a crime. Failing to answer those basic questions is not, in and of itself, grounds for reasonable suspicion of a crime but it could elevate an officer's level of suspicion if other factors are present.

FWIW this is all how it happens in a hypothetical perfect world, as I'm sure we're all aware this is NOT how it goes down in real life and I would NOT recommend refusing to ID yourself to an officer in the near future.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

4) What exactly is the difference between the anti-crime plainclothes we deal with and detectives?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not exactly sure what "anti-crime plainclothes" means, but if you mean some kind of undercover, then that would be different than a detective. Detectives, in my definition, try to solve crimes. Undercover officers try to detect crime and watch people as they would be in their own world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rusted, and anyone else who cares:

In the NYPD "detective" is a fairly broad classification. When a patrolman wants to advance, he either can go up the rank to sergeant, lieutenant, captain, etc... or can advance to detective.

Detectives may be "detectives" in the traditional sense, the guys who try to solve crimes IE- Homicide Unit Detectives, or the guys who go under cover IE- Narcotics Unit Detectives. In addition to these, there are also many detectives in the NYPD who perform various internal functions that require specialized knowledge. It is also not uncommon for detectives to wear regular uniforms when working overtime for special events.

The Anti-Crime Unit uses plain-clothes and has both officers and detectives in it. Plain-clothes is different than undercover. Undercover cops are dressed so that no one will ever know they are cops. Plain-clothes cops are dressed so that a casual observer will not recognize them as a cop, but they are not actually "undercover" as they wear body armor and carry radios.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait until there's one of those "no questions asked" gun buy-back events that PDs sometimes have. They'll give you like $100 and they're not allowed to ask you where you got the gun. Hell, there was a guy who turned in a grenade launcher to one of those things and nothing happened to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty dumb idea since he has no idea about the history of the gun before he got it. The cops are 100% going to run ballistics tests on the gun before they destroy it. If it matches a gun used in a crime, they're going to want to talk to the guy that turned it in.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Italian, it appears that you are living in an area that is very uncommon to where most 2+2ers live....how's barney Fife these days? LOL joking obv.

[/ QUOTE ]

My area is pretty laid back. Most crimes are criminal mischief, harassment, disorderly conducts, traffic...

I can assure you that nobody is that loopy.

Some of the things we deal with aren't even crime related. I've opened a ton of lock car doors. I never had one I couldn't do. Dead people, medical emergencies...

[/ QUOTE ]

so is there a lot of comraderie in being a cop? do u guys get together for beers at a local pub? You guys hang out and talk about guns?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a cop but I've met quite a few. Most cops I've known hate guns. They don't like the idea of the average person being on an equal footing with them. Most of them are marginal shots as well.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean by the guy outside of Best Buy. Could you point me to that?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was Circuit City, sorry.
From OOT.
From Poltics .
Old 10-10-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

'this person' would rather have it on him/her for the shortest time possible, as 'this person' has no idea of the history of said pistol...

[/ QUOTE ]

This person should shell out some bucks, hire a lawyer, and have the lawyer turn in the gun to the cops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably cheaper to buy a blowtorch and cut it into small pieces.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean by the guy outside of Best Buy. Could you point me to that?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was Circuit City, sorry.
From OOT.
From Poltics .

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems pretty weird. I honestly can't stand when stupid [censored] happens like that. If I was the officer, I would have probably just asked the guy if he could let the security guard look and then let them go. I don't think at any time I would ever feel the need to arrest him for something.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

'this person' would rather have it on him/her for the shortest time possible, as 'this person' has no idea of the history of said pistol...

[/ QUOTE ]

This person should shell out some bucks, hire a lawyer, and have the lawyer turn in the gun to the cops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably cheaper to buy a blowtorch and cut it into small pieces.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, really...

actually, some good suggestions last night since i left the thread for 'my friend'...

it will definitely be cleaned, wiped, and bagged. that we already figured out. and like everyone said, what are the odds of being pulled over??

storm drains are also a likely possibility.