Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 07:17 AM

Default Playing AAxx vs a 95/12

Background: This guys really is 95/12. Plays every single hand dealt to him. He also likes floating flops with no draw no pair and will bet almost every time its checked to him.

Example:
PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $1.00 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($385.50)
SB ($52.75)
BB ($95.10) <======= 95/12
UTG ($79.60)
MP ($18.40)
CO ($109.90)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $2.50.

Flop: ($7.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, BB calls $6.

Turn: ($19.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($19.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $7</font>, Hero calls $7.

Final Pot: $33.50

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 9s 8c 5d Qc (high card, queen).

Outcome: Hero wins $33.50. </font>

How exactly do I go about playing this hand?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $1.00 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($399.75)
BB ($100)
UTG ($152.30) &lt;======= 95/12 guy.
MP ($98.90)
CO ($131.25)
Button ($39.50)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $4.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $14.50, Button calls $11.

Flop: ($47.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $45.15</font>, UTG calls $45.15, Button calls $24 (All-In).

Turn: ($119.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $15</font>, Hero folds.

River: ($134.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $119.50

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">

Outcome: Button wins $119.50. UTG wins $42.30. </font>

1.) Should I have even reraised AAxx knowing that I'd most likely play a calling station OOP?

2.) Should I have potted the flop or just check and call the Button's all in.

3.) On the turn, after I had bet pot, is it -EV to fold this knowing that UTG ranges includes any 4 cards and he always flat calls the flop with almost nothing. If I check call the flop, I'm sure to face another bet from this guy on the river whether or not he has anything and I'm just back to a difficult spot out of position with just a pair if I don't catch an ace king jack or 10.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Playing AAxx vs a 95/12

Zefa - FWIW I think you played H1 fine.

H2 - More interesting. I don't mind the reraise PF with AJKA AS LONG as you are re-raising with a variety. If you don't 3b with anything except AA, then you're gonna have problems against most competent opponents. Most players hands are instantly turned face up because they'll only 3b with AAxx. If you think your 3bet is more concealed, go for it. What you couldn't count on is the limp calling of UTG. It'll happen and it instantly makes your AA considerably more difficult to play especially OOP.

Against this specific lagtard and given the fact that you're in the SB, I don't mind a 3b or a flat call. I feel like you've got to 3bet the lagtard (assuming UTG doesn't come along for the ride) simply because you're probably miles ahead of his range PF. But, if the flop doesn't coodinate for you, it makes it a pretty difficult flop to play against him OOP. That's why I'm kinda leaning towards a dead heat with 3b and flat call PF. Probably good to mix it up in the SB with plays like this. In position, mash that pot button everytime. Particularly so if you're potting it with a variety of other cards like connected ones 2pair ds hands etc.

As played, I'd definitely c/f the flop. You had a massive hand PF but a pretty rubbish one on the flop particularly with 2 villains still left to act. Definite spew by leading for roughly pot on the flop. It's an easy decision if you had the nut flush but you gotta bite the bullet with hands like this and cut your losses. The 95/12 could have you crushed and that's not even considering what UTG might have hit.

tl;dr ...

1) I'm inclined to call PF but 3betting is absolutely fine. Mix it up.

2) I wouldn't have done either mate. c/f. It makes a massive different the fact that this is 3handed. 2 handed against spewtard, I'd get it all in given the fact that he'd only have about 40-45BB by the turn after calling you flop pot bet.

3) You gotta remember, even if you did catch that A or K or J, you still might not be good. You'd be in much better shape obv if you hit the J or A because some pot control would be exercised even by your spew villain and probably could get it in knowing that the board is only flush connected and not straight connected. The other thing to consider is the UTG 150BB stack. I think by the time the turn card came, he still had 90ishBB remaining and 90BB that he could really put you to the test with. Unfortunately, there's a tonne of cards that could put you in a world of pain and there's really only 4 cards in the deck (case As and Js) that would encourage me to continue beyond the turn and even then it's a tough decision. Again, the fact that this is 3 handed and not 2 handed makes it much different.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:13 AM

I can actually think of a bajillion other things to say with this hand but all in all, I think c'f flop is only play OOP and 3 handed.

You maybe ahead but it's probably really thin and by no means a dead cert with 2 streets remaining.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the response.

I have a wide raising range, I generally play around a 28/15 game but change it up according to the table dynamics.

Here I felt I was obligated to raise because of the button's stack size and I don't even know if UTG is a competant enough player to put me on AAxx even tho my play was very transparent.

Given our history though, what bothers me is UTG would bet almost 100% of the time with anything when checked to so I wasn't sure if this spot was correct to call presumably playing against any 4 cards.