Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Reraising pocket AA, KK, QQ, theory question????

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Start 3-betting light more. I get plenty of action on my big pairs and I have a rather tight image.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this not overprice the cost of playing the light hand you are raising with? Perhaps do this by minraising $4 to 8 instead of $4 to $14 for instance, with 10,10 for example.

[/ QUOTE ]
So, you're the guy who min 3-bets AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, the min 3-bet is one of the worst options here, the only thing worse would be just folding the aces preflop. Pop it up big or smooth call, I don't like getting fancy and making delicate raises with big pairs preflop. It gives opponents the idea that you've got a big hand, but also does not cost them much. Make 'em pay if you really want to lose a bit of deception, or keep your hand in disguise and just call the raise.

As a follow-up question, or rather, an expansion of the original, what are your thoughts about 3-bet vs. SC in position as opposed to out of position?
Old 06-23-2007, 01:12 PM

3-betting IP > 3-betting OOP especially with marginal holdings.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3-betting IP > 3-betting OOP especially with marginal holdings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely.. start opening up your 3-betting range when a loose CO opens. It gets you a ton of action, sometimes when you don't want it though, so you have to learn how to play 3-bet pots with junk/marginal stuff.

Don't 3-bet hands like ATo or A7s, you'll get into a lot of trouble. I'll elaborate later why but I think it's fairly transparent.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:18 PM

When you have a high PP preflop, you want to build a big pot and get as much money in as possible when you are a heavy favourite. E.g. PF you have KK, or AA, well you can be pretty sure you are ahead of your opponents range so why wouldnt you want to get in as much money as possible?
Old 06-23-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't understand why we do this. At 50 and 100nl where i play most of the time, reraising will often fold the original raiser leaving you with a small return for your big hand.

Flat calling disguises your hand completely and you can often win a huge pot by doing this.

I am aware of other factors involved but would rather hear from you all first, in this discussion, so i will better understand the principles involved in playing these hands this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

fold preflop
Old 06-23-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1: big pots for big hands

2: they'll call you with crap anyway because they hate folding, you're being results orientated

3: you're letting speculative hands see a cheap flop, you want to make pps and scs make a mistake, they won't be if you let them in cheap. You're giving them great odds to outdraw you

4: opponents play so badly post flop anyway, that the deception isn't worth it.

5: you won't know where you stand either, because your hand is so underrepped.

6: most players play worse (including regs) in rr pots.

that's basically it i guess. Put it this way i love players who slow play big pps and welcome them to my table any day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you unknown soldier......nice list and i was familiar with most of it.....

1. agreed, big pots for big hands

2. at 50 nl not so much but as the stakes get higher they definitely call more in my experience

3.this is the most compelling reason why the reraise is required imo. I've certainly been sacked by 10,8o catching two pair on the flop and getting stacked by them.

4. this is a huge mistake in your thinking imo. SOME opponents (25%) play really badly, but the rest should not be underestimated. This is a quick assumption leading to ruin.

5. With KK, QQ, JJ i agree 100%. Here, i often will reraise if the opponent led utg, just to see where i am at preflop. If they call a big reraise, they usually have a big hand, and the SC's get folded.

6. i have no idea why you say this.. but then i don't reraise pots that often and may not have learned what it is you know here. Care to elaborate...

there is one more good reason....
7. You will sometimes get it all in preflop with the best hand , which is always wonderful. My best experience in this regard was my AA vs KK, and KK.....lol bigggggg pot

So, thanks for your input, it has helped me to review this fundamental playing principle, and discussion really does clear up the concept. I will rreraise more often. ty all for posting yhere..and good luck out there.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really don't understand why we do this. At 50 and 100nl where i play most of the time, reraising will often fold the original raiser leaving you with a small return for your big hand.

Flat calling disguises your hand completely and you can often win a huge pot by doing this.

I am aware of other factors involved but would rather hear from you all first, in this discussion, so i will better understand the principles involved in playing these hands this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

sarcasm never does much for me when i'm trying to understand something better. take it elsewhere.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:10 PM

just from my experience in playing them and posting on 2+2 alot of people seem pretty clueless and make mistakes in rr pots (which are more costly then mistakes in raised pots of course)

as for 4 you're right i don't just assume everyone is bad. I make them give me a reason first, but you should be at a table where your opponents play badly. So if everyone is playing decent poker then i leave.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:29 PM

If you ever want to crush SSNL, you need to be very aggressive preflop.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just from my experience in playing them and posting on 2+2 alot of people seem pretty clueless and make mistakes in rr pots (which are more costly then mistakes in raised pots of course)

as for 4 you're right i don't just assume everyone is bad. I make them give me a reason first, but you should be at a table where your opponents play badly. So if everyone is playing decent poker then i leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i've come to the same conclusion. *It doesn't take too long to size up the table, and if they are all pretty good i move on. Party is great for that because table selection is so huge. Stars on the other hand sucks in this regard.