Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Fat man shrinks rapidly, experiences headaches.

Bought a set of scales months ago. The thing was eyeing me from the bathroom floor, untouched, like a dead dog.

I'm 37, 6 feet tall, wrestled in University at 157 pounds though, of course, that was over 15 years ago and that was pretty underweight for my frame. Cruised along alright at about 175 through my 20s while still running and visiting the gym regularly. Blah, blah, blah. Then it happened.

For about the last half a dozen years my casual drinking escalated to the point of 6 to 8 pints a night, minimum, and about twice as much on weekends. I had a heavy drinking long time girlfriend and my job has a lot of social drinking as part of the business. Drank everyday solid for that entire time, don't remember having a day off. So when I finally stepped on that piece of crap it spat out the pathetic, nausea-inducing number of 260. Well, what the hell did I expect? Actually, it's a regular, nondigital scale, so I don't think it really gave an accurate reading....at that weight it kind of wavers up and down a few pounds due to the seismic activity.

That was October the first. Quit drinking. Completely dry. Found out I'm not an alcoholic I guess, since it hasn't bothered me at all. Licking my lips a bit while watching football on Sundays, that's it. No greasy food, walking about an hour a day (used to run a few times a week but the impact would now shatter my shins), and starting to lift my weights again.

Lost 40 pounds by Halloween and today it says 215. Sure, still a fat bastard but that was fast as hell, faster than I ever lost weight while training or any other time I decided to lose a few.

I feel much better, lots of energy, old clothes fit again, etc. People starting to notice the weight loss. I can get back to around 180 by the spring I think.

The only thing I've had a problem with is that from day one I've had a persistent low grade headache. I think this is either from the reduction in daily sugars or some side effect of quitting the heavy drinking. I have heard that it may have been better to continue to have a glass of wine or a shot a day but I have no urge to have this nor do I want the calories.

No other point to this, I suppose. Not really bragging about this kind of weight loss since I'm still fat as hell but I thought over 40 pounds would take several months. I guess the lesson I have learned is that imbibing the caloric equivalent of a couple of loaves of bread every night is unwise.

Well, off to have my dinner of half a chiclet on a bed of lettuce.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Fat man shrinks rapidly, experiences headaches.

1st of all, congrats

Have you recently dropped your caffeine intake or anything? Getting enough water?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:11 PM

What's your current diet consist of?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:12 PM

A lot of diet coke. Coffee in the afternoon. Yes, this could obviously be the problem. I think I kind of need it for now though. I definitely should try to drink more water. Honestly, fluid intake is bothering me a bit as I'm not that enthused by drinks that have that horrid taste of being nonalcoholic.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:21 PM

"Diet" previously consisted of whatever I picked up at joints near work or on the road followed by whatever I wanted at the pub. Now I've been bringing light sandwiches to work and making like mixed vegetables and a bit of chicken or beef for dinner. Not much bread at dinner. No snacks, but my appetite has really disappeared, doesn't bother me. And my breakfast is nonexistent.

Yeah, ok, so there about 10 things in these last 2 replies that could be the culprit, very nice.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, ok, so there about 10 things in these last 2 replies that could be the culprit, very nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 11-06-2007, 09:41 PM

Hamish..

Caffeine (unlikely), overexertion (unlikely), and not eating enough are the 3 things that give me the headaches.

pretty much has to be eating and lack of alcohol.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pretty much has to be eating and lack of alcohol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or so we hope. Everything else I could possibly think of would be more serious and involve a doctor though. Lack of alcohol shouldn't really be giving him much physical pain after this long without drinking though.

I'd start with cutting out the diet coke though. Asperteme could be giving you trouble, as well as caffiene.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:03 PM

I may have described what I'm eating as a little sparse but other than a lack of much breakfast I think it's alright. I wouldn't describe it as a crash diet but it is definitely a change. I feel satisfied after I eat (although it's not the satisfaction that a belly full of beer gives you). I think it probably is the caffeine but I have this headache all day even after I eat or long after I have had any caffeine drink. I have never had continual headaches like this, but you lot have given me lots of options that were pretty obvious. I was too preoccupied with thinking it had something to do with the lack of booze. It is really a minor side effect so far but if it continues for much longer then I'll have to figure out something.

Also, I'd like to mention the change in my bowel movements. It's quite fascinating really. Instead of a once or twice daily liquor and grease induced 5 pound cow flop, I'm now down to these once every couple of days rabbit pellets that I haven't seen in years. There you go.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I'd like to mention the change in my bowel movements. It's quite fascinating really. Instead of a once or twice daily liquor and grease induced 5 pound cow flop, I'm now down to these once every couple of days rabbit pellets that I haven't seen in years. There you go.

[/ QUOTE ]

both are terrible