Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 01:07 PM

Default tool for learning to identify outs quickly?

There are many small poker tools available. Most of them are useful to investigate specified game setup and they tell you about your various odds and probabilities within a given situation.

The thing I'm looking for is some kind of learning tool that works quite opposite. What I'm thinking about is some kind of software, that presents you a random generated game situation (i.ex. your 2 hole cards and a flop or flop/turn) and you have to identify useful outs in a given time.

Does something like this exist? Most of the time it is quite easy to identify outs but sometimes there are combinations of drawing possibilities with overlapping outs and I still have problems with such layouts and would like to train my abilities. If somebody could tell me whether something like this exists, it would be very kind.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Norbert
Old 05-29-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Re: tool for learning to identify outs quickly?

http://home.houston.rr.com/texasholdempoker/odds.htm

This link has an odds chart. I really suggest memorizing this. A good player can see a flop and calculate his out in just seconds. You will need this skill eventually.

This is the easy part. The hard part is figuring out which hand you need to make to win the pot. This is called discounting outs. As an easy example, if you have a low open ended straight draw against an overpair, you have 8 outs. However, if there are two flush cards on board, then potentially two of your outs will make villain a flush so your straight will be no good. Therefore, you would discount those two outs and assume you have 6 outs now. In a more complex calculation, you can assume that villain has a 50% chance of a flush draw and a 50% chance of an overpair. Now you can modify your discounted outs to 1 (50%x2) so you for drawing odds use 7 outs.

It gets even more complicated than that. I suggest you memorize how many outs you have for almost every hole cards and flop scenario. It may look daunting now but it will become second nature. Then you can move to discounting some outs based on villain's possible hand range.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:56 PM

....A pack of cards.

Seriously. Just deal 2 hole cards and then a board and start counting.

Repeat as required.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite what I'm looking for but very useful and very interesting too. But why are some of the fields black and don't display the desired information?
Old 05-29-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite what I'm looking for but very useful and very interesting too. But why are some of the fields black and don't display the desired information?

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit: Now I got it. My reply was too fast.

Anyway, thanks a lot. This chart is really useful! I will put a printout during the night under my pillow. This will help memorizing [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2007, 07:40 PM

Ugh, memorizing this stuff seems like a really bad way to go about this.

All you need to count outs is an understanding of card ranks, and basic counting skills.

For example:
You have K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Flop is
6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Someone bets and you want to count your outs.

Suppose you know that all he has is A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. So improving your hand to a pair of Kings, or a Flush would put you ahead (pair of tens would not).
There are 3 kings, and 9 flush cards, so you have 12 outs.
What if you thought he had a set? Then only the flush outs are good, but the J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is no good, so you have 8 outs.

On the flop, there are 47 unseen cards. So 12/47 gives you about 25% chance of drawing out, 8/47 gives you about 16%.

In general, OESD has 8 outs, Flushes have 9 outs, overcards give you 6 outs. Generally you can add the outs, but beware of double counting.

J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on a flop of 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] against A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
9 Flush outs
6 Straight outs (Start with eight then we subtract two because we counted the 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the flush outs already)
6 Pair outs

These are all best case scenarios. If he had A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the second example, you lose a flush out, and now have to worry about runner runner flushes. Or if he had J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Jacks are no longer outs.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:28 PM

Ed Miller has a blog, and made a posting a couple months with a counting outs quiz. I found it very useful.

http://www.notedpokerauthority.com/tag/counting-outs/

As you play more it should get a lot easier to estimate your outs.