Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 11:27 AM

Default File under \"Views\"

There's not much fact behind either of these, but two theories that I hold:

1- The older guard of poker players (those folks who were names pre-poker boomb) are far more likely to have been involved in various shady dealings than any of these new kids, and the level of respect afforded to older players looks pretty laughable.

2- I keep seeing people post about how like "3 or 10 posters on this site are losing players" and I actually would guess that a majority of the posters here actually win, which doesn't really mean they're not horrible at poker.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:00 PM

Default Re: File under \"Views\"

"I actually would guess that a majority of the posters here actually win, which doesn't really mean they're not horrible at poker. "

sorry dids but if someone wins they are good at poker and likely super good.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:02 PM

The vast majority of players are losers.

I would expect that although 2+2ers beat the general curve, more than 50% of the regulars are losers at anything beyond micro stakes.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:04 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

[ QUOTE ]
There's not much fact behind either of these, but two theories that I hold:

1- The older guard of poker players (those folks who were names pre-poker boomb) are far more likely to have been involved in various shady dealings than any of these new kids, and the level of respect afforded to older players looks pretty laughable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your sterotype seems logical, however, like all sterotypes, while they may expose truths about a group, they say nothing about the individual. To hold an individual in less respect than you normally would just because they've been around a while seems a bit presumptuous.
[ QUOTE ]

2- I keep seeing people post about how like "3 or 10 posters on this site are losing players" and I actually would guess that a majority of the posters here actually win, which doesn't really mean they're not horrible at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I might agree based upon knowledge only, although after reading many of the poker posts and comments I wouldn't put money on this. However issues like tilt control, money management and game selection (BJ, sports) will over come the edge most have.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the poker industry - new and old - is shady
Old 09-13-2006, 12:52 PM

Zod,

Sure. But a lot of the newer guard of folks are coming from a very different background than folks like say Men and Doyle (to pick two of the older folks who are rumored to have been involved in various levels of dirt). Poker is now something that doesn't just cater to the hustler (which isn't to say that the amount of money floating around right now doesn't make it a paradise for hustlers from all walks of life).

Mostly it's just that absent any other information, and forced to make a judgement, I'm going to trust the guy who used to work behind a desk and luckboxed an MTT before the guy who has spent the last 20 years in cardrooms.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would expect that although 2+2ers beat the general curve, more than 50% of the regulars are losers at anything beyond micro stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very key distinction. I would have a very hard time believing that a majority of players on 2p2 lose $ overall. However, that's only because it's sooo easy to make money at microstakes. Obviously very few players are ever going to be good enough to beat high, or even mid-stakes games.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have a very hard time believing that a majority of players on 2p2 lose $ overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldn't. at all. i expect even if you limit it to people with >100 posts it's still the case.

NT
Old 09-13-2006, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The vast majority of players are losers.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of really good small stakes players here (not micro per se) that are def winners.

I can't beat anything over 15/30 (imo it's a psychological thing) and I think a lot of people have trouble beating the "bigger" games.

I guess I pretty much copy+pasted mmb's post. oops
Old 09-13-2006, 02:42 PM

what do you guys consider microlimits? < 50NL?