Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 02:36 AM

Default A9s on the button

3/6 live. Table is a bit tighter than usual, but still plenty juicy. SB is an uncreative donk.

Folded to MP who calls, then folded to me on the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I call (too passive?). SB calls and BB checks.

Flop:
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB bets, MP folds. I raise. SB thinks for a second and cold-calls. BB calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB checks, I bet. SB calls, BB calls.

River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB checks, I bet. SB calls, BB folds.

What I'm most interested in is hearing opinions on the pre-flop call and the river bet. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:12 AM

Default Re: A9s on the button

Seems pretty standard. If MP is a bad player then a raise PF to isolate is good.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems pretty standard. If MP is a bad player then a raise PF to isolate is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. After looking over the hand, I like the river bet. I've always been scared of betting the river because I hate being check-raised and calling and them flipping over something hilarious. That's a big leak of mine.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:11 AM

Raise preflop - both because you have a good hand and because it would be nice to isolate the limper. Rest is good.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:28 PM

I don't think the raise should be considered standard. I raise here sometimes and sometimes I limp. I feel that these hands are the best oppertunity to mix up yor play and keep anyone who is paying attention guessing. For this particular had with the reads given a raise seems right.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:52 PM

I'm going to go back to the archives here. I remember a long time ago, Vehn, (who no longer is with us, because he couldn't talk civily) said that 'If someone told me a long time ago, to never be the second into the pot, without raising, I would have a lot more money today.'

Anyway, MP openlimped, and he is the only player in the pot, what's he got? T9 sooted, or pocket 6s. Raising here, seems like the only play. You get another bet out of MP before he folds to your flop bet, and you also increase your chances of winning the pot, by making it more difficult for the blinds to play.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the raise should be considered standard. I raise here sometimes and sometimes I limp. I feel that these hands are the best oppertunity to mix up yor play and keep anyone who is paying attention guessing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want them to be guessing. I want them to make guesses about what I raise here [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 04-01-2007, 05:02 PM

!
Old 04-01-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the raise should be considered standard. I raise here sometimes and sometimes I limp. I feel that these hands are the best oppertunity to mix up yor play and keep anyone who is paying attention guessing. For this particular had with the reads given a raise seems right.

[/ QUOTE ]
I raise every single time here. Mixing up your play in this situation gives you nothing. Also, raising often gets the blind dead money into the pot. Or, if the blinds are bad players, they will call here when they shouldn't and you will win even more long term. Finally, you take initiative on the hand and you are far more likely to steal when you both miss the flop, which will happen a lot.

imho - anything but a raise here is just bad poker.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-01-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think it matters if it is a good player or a bad player. If it is a good player, they will often have something like K,Qsuited and you raise for value as you are ahead. Most good players will not limp from mid-position with a strong hand, especially not a hand with an A in it.