Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Bodog down?

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder why bodog doesn't send out an e-mail to their customer base? That would make sense to me. I'm willing to bet that their are a lot of folks that don't even know about two+two or other online poker chat sites.

I was thinking about making a deposit there for some low limit play but I'm not going to do it until this all gets sorted out.

[/ QUOTE ]

When players log on they are informed of the change but an email wouldn't hurt.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder why bodog doesn't send out an e-mail to their customer base? That would make sense to me. I'm willing to bet that their are a lot of folks that don't even know about two+two or other online poker chat sites.

I was thinking about making a deposit there for some low limit play but I'm not going to do it until this all gets sorted out.

[/ QUOTE ]

When players log on they are informed of the change but an email wouldn't hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got this on 8/28

Dear xxxxxxxxx,

We are currently experiencing difficulties with our domain name and I wanted to let you know that until the issue is resolved we are directing all customers to an alternate site with little or no interruption to Bodog services.

Bottom line: you can play at Bodog right now. Everything you see will be the same as what you are used to and we’ll resolve any minor glitches shortly.

The problem is the direct result of a dispute over the ownership of the Bodog.com domain name. We are doing everything we can to resolve the dispute as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other than the change in URL, it is business as usual.

I don’t want anything to interrupt your play so please visit www.newbodog.com and continue to play hard. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Calvin Ayre, Bodog Founder

Bodog Customer Service
T. 1-888-263-0000
E. service@newbodog.com
Old 08-30-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

When players log on they are informed of the change

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is akin to sending someone an email explaining how to fix their internet connection.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know about the shutdown/switch until I received an e-mail (same one posted above). So far to me everything seems to be fine aside from switching domain names. I just cashed out a check on Sunday, verified on Monday, so as long as it arrives and I can still cash it I don't see any problems for the players as of now. Granted that may change for the worse once this all settles out.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They were dumb to have used the Enom Inc. in Canada for web hosting because

[/ QUOTE ]

eNom was their registrar, not host, and eNom is a US company. Bodog has always been hosted in Costa Rica. No doubt they shouldn't have used a US registrar though.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:19 PM

Self Made. Thank you for that clarification. Makes even less sense on Bodogs behalf to have used a US company. From looking at info posted on Enom on another site I thought they were out of Canada. Damn.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:25 PM

I can't even get Bodog.com to come up on the net...?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:27 PM

OK, I read the cardplayer article...
Old 08-31-2007, 02:42 AM

This is pretty fascinating stuff. When you file a lawsuit against someone, and properly serve it to them and they fail to respond, the judge has no choice but to enter a summary judgement for whatever amount the plaintaiff asked for regardless of the facts. This is how this astronomical judgement of 48,000,000 was ordered.

Had the lawsuit been challenged no rational judge or jury would have awarded such a sum for this so-called patent violation. Hell, from the reading the vague patent it seems like the case would've been thrown out as frivolous and the plaintiff would've been ordered to PAY BODOG expenses. The vague patent is basically for the technology that you see on every cable tv station. (i.e. bluscreen technology on a weather brodcast, or the picture in picture on your cable vieiwing guide). Total BS, it would cripple America economy if someone truly such a broad patent on all modern media transmissions.

However, as we all know the department of justice has very little love for bodog, and what makes this ploy a brilliantly calculated move on the plaintiffs part. Any bodog representative who enters the states to fight this will be immiediately arrested for federal gambling violations. So a summary judgement was all but inevitable. Bodog could've cared less because they had no assets in the US, or so they thought....

Apparently, in a move whose legallity I need to research, domain names are assets that can be seized to pay down court judgements. This is new ground in legal wrangling, and bodog never expected this happen as the internet is supposedly and extra-legal international consortium.

This debate could go on for years, and ultimately bodog would win. However if they don't have their domain for those years they will be royally screwed. If I were the plaintiff I wouldn't budge, and I would demand the 48 million in cash immediately, because it will cost bodog much more to lose their domain name (especially at the start of football season). So you know what I think bodog will pay it. It sucks for them, and they'll probably be less generous with their guaranteed prize pools. But hey, you live you learn. Gotta give it to the plaintiff, scott lewis, for being the craftiest bastard of the year.

edit: Well there's another option for bodog. They could hire bolivian death squads, or expatriates mercenaires that are abundant in costa rica, for a small fraction of the 48,000,0000, and send them to the US to start gunning down the plaintiff's friends and family. The US isists that the harmless bodog entertainment company is a criminal organization, so bodog should oblige them and reply in kind.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:26 PM

Same, i think ron dong had the same problem