Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Baseball: rest of the season analysis post-trades

Now that the non-waivers deadline has passed (barring late news). I think it's safe to say the Braves improved far more than any other team. Seems likely they will make the playoffs and possibly pass the Mets.

I think the Brewers and Cubs is a near toss up, with the loser very unlikely to be the wild card.

NL West is hardest to call, and picking one of the 3 (4?) teams to win is pretty futile. I give the edge to the Dodgers tho. I may be biased tho, because I perceive them to be the best of the West in terms of likelihood to succeed in the playoffs.

Yanks will have a very hard time catching the Red Sox, but have a great chance to win the wild card, tho it would not be a surprise if they didn't, as Detroit/Cleveland are v. good, and the Mariners have some kind of chance (not sure how, but they keep winning at a solid clip).

I give Detroit the edge over Cleveland, but the loser def. has a strong chance at the WC.

Angels will stay ahead of the Mariners. I give Seattle about a 15% chance of winning the wild card.

So:

NL East: Braves (nothing wrong with a little homering)
NL Central: Cubs
NL West: Dodgers
WC: Mets

AL East: Red Sox
AL Central: Detroit
AL West: Angels
WC: Indians

Yanks are mostly likely out of teams not mentioned to make it, followed by the Padres, then the Mariners, Brewers, D'backs, Phils, Rockies, Twins, Cardinals. I don't think anyone else has a chance. The last three names are already pretty generous.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Baseball: rest of the season analysis post-trades

I really wish the Braves could have picked up another SP. The rotation needed help the most, and got none. Hopefully they win enough 9-7 games when the back end of the rotation is up.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really wish the Braves could have picked up another SP. The rotation needed help the most, and got none. Hopefully they win enough 9-7 games when the back end of the rotation is up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. The Braves are far more dangerous in the playoffs than they are the rest of the regular season. I hope Carlyle can keep pitching decently. That would probably be enough.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:08 PM

thanks brian sabean for keeping matt morris 3 months longer than you should have.

you [censored] asshat
Old 07-31-2007, 07:11 PM

Every team is dangerous in the playoffs, but I acknowledge your point: the loss of the 5th starter may help the Braves through addition by subtraction more than any other team.

Braves probably improved by three wins, but it may not be enough to make them the favorites. If the Mets can ever get healthy... And I like adding the OBP of Luis Castillo, at least if it knocks Lo Duca out of the goddamn top of the line.

The Angels were probably the contender that could've improved themsleves the most while giving up the least if they got Teixeira.

The Red Sox' bullpen makes them the scariest team in the playoffs if they make it. Okajima, Gagne, and Papelbon? What the hell? The best trio of relievers in baseball.

Tigers also really needed to make a move, because they're simply not as good as the Yankees or Indians and needed extra talent to be able to hold them off.

The Dodgers need to acknowledge their gigantic mistake of Nomar Garciaparra, cut him or make him a glorified utility infielder, bring up LaRoche, and make the playoffs. That really could be a two-win margin right there that costs them millions.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The Dodgers need to acknowledge their gigantic mistake of Nomar Garciaparra, cut him or make him a glorified utility infielder, bring up LaRoche, and make the playoffs. That really could be a two-win margin right there that costs them millions.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft. if only they had a 3B with a .293 EQA.... what they just traded him? awesome. thanks ned colletti.

alternative joke answer: i'll have you know that nomar is leading the league in BA with RISP. zomg clutchier than eckstein.

hey we have a young reliever in aaa who has a 2.09 era and 75 strikeouts in 51 2/3 innings... should we bring him up or should we stick with rudy seanez and brett tomko? yeah good decision ned.

zomgwftfsdakljsdfajkldfsj;zomgz
Old 07-31-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

qft. if only they had a 3B with a .293 EQA.... what they just traded him? awesome. thanks ned colletti.

alternative joke answer: i'll have you know that nomar is leading the league in BA with RISP. zomg clutchier than eckstein.

hey we have a young reliever in aaa who has a 2.09 era and 75 strikeouts in 51 2/3 innings... should we bring him up or should we stick with rudy seanez and brett tomko? yeah good decision ned.

zomgwftfsdakljsdfajkldfsj;zomgz

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you cry when DePodesta was fired? If not, you probably are now. Sooo much talent, sooo much mismanagement.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks brian sabean for keeping matt morris 3 months longer than you should have.

you [censored] asshat

[/ QUOTE ]

he freed up the 22 jersey for eric byrnes next season. adios 'dodger' dave roberts
Old 07-31-2007, 08:54 PM

Playoff teams:
NL- Mets, Cubs, Dbacks, Braves
Al- RSox, Indians, Angels, Tigers
Old 07-31-2007, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The Red Sox' bullpen makes them the scariest team in the playoffs if they make it. Okajima, Gagne, and Papelbon? What the hell? The best trio of relievers in baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sooo gross.

I was just reminded of a past trio that was this good or better. A few years ago the Astros had Billy Wagner setup by (pre blowup) Brad Lidge and (peak) Octavio Dotel.

not sure which is better but who cares? The Braves are who I want to win the WS, but the RSox are the team I think is actually the most likely.