Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Re: 20/40 - How\'d I play K4s?

Thanks for the responses. A couple more questions so I can understand this.

Can we not put BB on a jack some of the time, or is top pair the only hand we can give BB credit for? If BB check raised the flop with say JT, how is his play?

ps. Howard, I saw you last night and was going to say hello, but never had a good opportunity. Next time.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:48 PM

i would fold pf. but call turn try to hit flush
Old 07-22-2007, 04:07 PM

pf is fine, flop is fine, turn raise is bad - you represent nothing that is going to induce a fold.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the responses. A couple more questions so I can understand this.

Can we not put BB on a jack some of the time, or is top pair the only hand we can give BB credit for? If BB check raised the flop with say JT, how is his play?

ps. Howard, I saw you last night and was going to say hello, but never had a good opportunity. Next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

BB will have a Jack some of the time, sure. My ex-mother-in-law was nice to me some of the time also. But I didn't expect it very often. Plus, he's BB in an unraised pot. He could have 2 pair of some sort, who can really know? But he is c/r'ing 4 opponents. He's got to have something and it likely beats your hand. Once you get to know the players you can get a better feel for how they play but at least for now I'd not try to get fancy on them.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:10 PM

This looks absolutely fine to me. Against an unknown I'll take a free showdown, and against some folks I'd bet the river for value. Preflop's a bit loose but I don't think it's horrible. I'm mystified at anyone who wants to fold top pair against an unknown on the river. My only worry is blowing someone off a worse hand that would have also bet (or paid off) the river, but making someone fold 5 outs isn't costing you much. Obviously we're not trying to make anyone fold a K here. If you get 3-bet you should probably fold river unimproved, but you'd be surprised at the interesting things you see when you call down unknowns getting 10:1.

What can BB have here to c/r flop and lead turn? Pretty much any pair, QT, and maybe worse draws, right?
Old 07-23-2007, 03:25 AM

Preflop I'm folding.

Postflop I'm OK with. BB may think you are "taking a stab" at the pot after everyone checked and you bet. He could be doing this with a jack, a pocket pair, or maybe a better king then yours. So raising the turn, and checking behind on the river unimproved, is no worse off then going call, call, unless of course you get 3 bet on the turn, although your chances of getting 3 bet on the turn are slim unless you're up against a set. So I like it. Just my two cents.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sucks. Getting 3-bet blows because you picked up a flush draw. Also you aren't representing much because you limped PF. He'll call down to see whatever crappy 2 pair you're saying you caught.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-23-2007, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am wondering this too, seems standard to check/raise JT here if noone has shown any strength and the button bets, not that live players necessarily have the guts to do so. Hopefully someone else will chime in as I don't have much live experience.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am wondering this too, seems standard to check/raise JT here if noone has shown any strength and the button bets, not that live players necessarily have the guts to do so. Hopefully someone else will chime in as I don't have much live experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would a player with JT call a turn raise? I don't think so, in which case the raise has very little value when you're ahead.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:20 AM

It's all fine.