Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 12:32 AM

Default Re: October Goals Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, the first version of this code I'm working on was written back in the 80s. Back then, the definitive language for scientific computing was FORTRAN. For subsequent versions, rather than completely rewrite something that already works well in C++ or something, the FORTRAN code has been updated and revised since then. This makes the lives of the original developers easier, but not mine. OTOH, updating C++ code can be a royal PITA, too, depending on how many pointer, object, and other data sctructure shenanigans have obfuscated things.

[/ QUOTE ]

how complex is the sw we are talking about here? unless there are some uber-superconvoluted algorithms, and I knew I'd be using it for quite awhile, I'd be tempted to rewrite the whole thing.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:33 AM

1) play some poker online this month since i didn't last month.
2) go play a few times live at foxwoods now that i live closer to it than i did before.
3) meet up with micros boston peeps early and often. attention micros boston peeps: pm me so we can meet up in a manner of excellent goodness.
4) continue preparing for my 5k post yo of epicness.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:38 AM

Old 10-01-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Basically, the first version of this code I'm working on was written back in the 80s. Back then, the definitive language for scientific computing was FORTRAN. For subsequent versions, rather than completely rewrite something that already works well in C++ or something, the FORTRAN code has been updated and revised since then. This makes the lives of the original developers easier, but not mine. OTOH, updating C++ code can be a royal PITA, too, depending on how many pointer, object, and other data sctructure shenanigans have obfuscated things.

[/ QUOTE ]

how complex is the sw we are talking about here? unless there are some uber-superconvoluted algorithms, and I knew I'd be using it for quite awhile, I'd be tempted to rewrite the whole thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, molecular dynamics is srs biz. Esp. since we're dealing with code designed to run on supercomputers. More importantly, though, this is approximately how the totem pole of how much say a person has in the development of this software looks:

The guy in charge of maintaining and updating the code

A guy my professor and I collaborate with

My professor

Me
Old 10-01-2007, 12:52 AM

yeah I think Gaussian ran on Fortran?
Old 10-01-2007, 12:57 AM

I've used Gaussian, but I've never looked at the code. I couldn't tell you what language it's coded in. Could be Turbo Pascal for all I know.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:58 AM

Jaguar FTW, not close.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:00 AM

I guess I figured internet poker players for nerds, but even so, there are more people here who know more about obscure programming languages than I expected.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:04 AM

just pulled from wikipedia fortran entry:

The legacy of FORTRAN

Since Fortran has been in use for nearly fifty years, there is a vast body of Fortran in daily use throughout the scientific and engineering communities. It is the primary language for some of the most intensive supercomputing tasks, such as weather and climate modeling, computational fluid dynamics, computational chemistry, quantum chromodynamics, simulations of long-term solar system dynamics, high-fidelity evolution artificial satellite orbits, and simulation of automobile crash dynamics. Indeed, one finds that even today, half a century later, floating-point benchmarks to gauge the performance of new computer processors are still written in Fortran (e.g., CFP2000, the floating-point component of the SPEC CPU2000 benchmarks).

This thread is officially hijacked.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:07 AM

1. Get off the couch