Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 02:03 AM

Default Collision with a Hyper LAG - How to combat?

This is the most complex hand I've posted. I'm not playing the cards here, but the Villain.

Villain here is the Cutoff. I really don't like getting in his face because he's hyper LAG and will check raise you if he suspects any weakness. Unfortunately, he has a high W$SD and a very high BB/100 win rate in my PT db. This one is not a random spastic, his aggression is well aimed considering its low stakes. He is good at this level in outplaying opponents post flop with junk.

Fortunately, I study him at the table and give him extra attention to understand his raising ranges. Unfortunately, his range slides from 2 pair to just air. However, I've found if I re raise him, he'll often give up the pot. But this is working less and less, I think. On the plus side, there is something with his timing, or check raising that tips me off when he has air. This time I suspected it, so I got aggressive with him on a draw.

What mistakes did I do? And how else do I combat this Hyper LAG?

Poker Stars
Limit Omaha Ring game
Limit: $1/$2
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) HERO is MP2 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
3 folds, HERO calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, 2 folds, BB calls, HERO calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (8.5SB, 4 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">HERO bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#cc0000">HERO 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Trying to win it outright with the 3-bet. No luck this time.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (7.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">HERO bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, HERO calls.

I bet to give him a new opportunity to fold. but alas, no help. I still don't believe he has crap.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (11.25BB, 2 players)
HERO checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, HERO calls.

Results:
Final pot: 13.25BB

Villains hand Below in white - Highlight to reveal-
<font color="white">Villain showed [Ac 4c 6h 7h] and won ($25.50) with HI: a pair of Sixes; LO: 6,4,3,2,A
</font>
Old 09-21-2007, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Collision with a Hyper LAG - How to combat?

The way to combat a maniac to do call more often, and they will end up begging for mercy. Raising and re-raising LAGs is like fighting fire with fire, better to use water. Every bet-raise has to be for value, reduce your semi-bluffs and do not attempt any pure bluffs.

Just call the flop raise, a 3-bet will never take it down.

Check-call turn, villain is just never folding to this blank turn.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:20 AM

I ran two dimes on the hand. I had ~60% equity preflop and 63% on the flop. So I can't kick myself too hard. I drop to ~40% on the turn. I think with pot odds, a call down is +EV from then on.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:04 AM

Exactly.

I think you played it well on the flop, and just got unlucky on the turn &amp; river (the very worst cards).

Ask yourself if you gave your hand away pre-flop by limping. If not then you just got unlucky, 3 betting the turn and betting the river (when a 2 doesn't come) would have had good chances.

Sometimes check/call is a good idea but if you have a Tight image, against a Skilled LAG who will probe and push, but can lay down, then representing a great hand can work.

You might have more chance of provoking a turn fold, if you'ld check/raised flop (hoping he'd just call, but willing to cap), and then bet the turn on your bust card.

Trouble is, he has 3rd Nut Lo + a pair on turn, so the way he's thinking, you're unlikely to be scooping him and he might call down on principal to deter you from fighting back.

Short-handed pots versus Aggressive players are just going to be more of a war and expect more of a roller coaster, than against tight players, carving up 1 or 2 Fish.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Trouble is, he has 3rd Nut Lo + a pair on turn, so the way he's thinking

[/ QUOTE ]
Whoops, that's should have been 2nd Nut Lo (A2, A4 with 23 and A3 bust).

Not sure how relevant FLHE experience is, but if opponent has that background then "How Good is your Fixed Limit Hold'em" from D&amp;B, will help you get inside his head.