Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Full swing with the irons

I was at the range earlier today, and they had a big aluminum pool setup about 80 yards out, so I was trying to hit it. I was messing around with my pitching wedge, and found out that if I take my wedge to about waist high, maybe a little more and swing as hard as I can downwards, I get a much straighter and better shot than taking a longer, slower paced swing all the way up. Is this ok? can I change my iron swing to hit like this all th time rather than take it up all the way? does any of this make sense?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Full swing with the irons

Congrats, you've figured out how to make a shorter controlled swing.

John Daly only takes 3/4 swings with his irons now. The key is to accelerate trough impact, like what you described.

There is probably something wrong with your full backswing btw is this corrected your ball flight. Also, I'm betting that you took the club back more then half way it just felt that way to you.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats, you've figured out how to make a shorter controlled swing.

John Daly only takes 3/4 swings with his irons now. The key is to accelerate trough impact, like what you described.

There is probably something wrong with your full backswing btw is this corrected your ball flight. Also, I'm betting that you took the club back more then half way it just felt that way to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

very possible. So this is an acceptable swing and I should learn to perfect this? it feels the most natural too me. and yes there is something wrong with my full swing, I dont know what though, and actually if I can get away with this "half swing" (adn you are probably right about taking it back more than half, Im terrible at knowing what I do when I swing) at least I can get by on the course for now. Do you have any suggestions on how to adapt that swing into a "full" swing so I can hit my driver/woods/hybrids as well. I mean I really impressed myself with that half swing in that 90% of my balls actually went exactly where I was aiming with in 10 or 15 yards.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:18 PM

I don't take a very long backswing with any of my clubs, but this is probably the result of less shoulder turn than anything. Obviously you're going to give yourself less room to screw up with a shorting backswing, but I don't think taking it back 1/2 way is the answer. I would try to lengthen my backswing more and more as I improved.

I think there is an article in the September of Golf magazine, or maybe it's Golf Digest, about taking a shorter backswing.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:31 PM

I generally make a full swing about once a month...not even kidding. Even my driver is only about 90%...and 99% of my irons are only 3/4 or less. The shorter backswing + acceleration on the downswing/followthrough is the secret to controlled golf...congrats.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:45 PM

I started doing the same thing a couple of months ago. When I make a full back swing I usually screw up in some way (reverse pivot, sway to the right, you name it). I make what feels like a half back swing, but it's probably longer than that, with all my clubs and it has really helped my accuracy and ballstriking.

Are you getting the same distance as before? because I've lost quite a bit since changing my swing
Old 08-20-2007, 02:48 PM

The question how much power are you losing? How far would you hit a 7 iron with the same swing? If you are hitting the ball more pure this way, it might mean you have a full swing flaw - like maybe when you take a full backswing, you come over the top, but with the shorter swing, you stay inside the ball.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I started doing the same thing a couple of months ago. When I make a full back swing I usually screw up in some way (reverse pivot, sway to the right, you name it). I make what feels like a half back swing, but it's probably longer than that, with all my clubs and it has really helped my accuracy and ballstriking.

Are you getting the same distance as before? because I've lost quite a bit since changing my swing

[/ QUOTE ]

No, actually my distance has been just about the same, and if I really try and knock the ball, even better than before. I have only hit about a bucket worth though, I plan on going back in a few hours to see if I can work my driver out, and figure out how hard I have to swing through for different distances.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The question how much power are you losing? How far would you hit a 7 iron with the same swing? If you are hitting the ball more pure this way, it might mean you have a full swing flaw - like maybe when you take a full backswing, you come over the top, but with the shorter swing, you stay inside the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

like I said, ball has been going about the same, or more. Would you suggest correcting my full swing, or just using the shorter swing for my "go to" swing?
Old 08-20-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

like I said, ball has been going about the same, or more. Would you suggest correcting my full swing, or just using the shorter swing for my "go to" swing?

[/ QUOTE ]

How well are you hitting your full swing in terms of thin/fat/sweet spot? See I played around with something similar a couple years ago - I could choke down on by 7 iron - take 2/3 a swing - and hit these nice pure shots with a little draw - grass stain right in the center - perfect - except 30-35 yards shorter than my regular 7 iron. When I went to the full swing - I was coming over the top - hitting toward the toe - and getting the same distinace as the 2/3 swing. So I needed to fix my full swing because it was so bad - not so much the shorter swing was so good.