Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 10:17 AM

Default Re: How Bad Does Smoking Ganja Affect Your Play?

smoking helps me make better folds. However, I may find myself missing value on hands. At the end of the day, I fail to evaluate my play because I'd rather eat brownies / watch Godfather / tug it. I'm also a lot less hungry to win in general, which I think has it's effects on end game in tournaments.

Barry
Old 06-27-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It affects it pretty bad. I play pretty bad when im high. preeeeeeety bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-27-2007, 10:50 AM

Why is this post "How bad does smoking ganja affect your play?"(bad being the operative word). Ive never made a final table without it, and it helps you to focus intensely on the game and enjoy it more. Why would it make you play poorly? Seems like everyone here is confusing alcohol and marijuana...
Old 06-27-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dont play high, u ll think wicked slow and not be able to play as many tables and since u ll be thinking slow u ll give off timing tells then wonder if people are playing their hands or playing back at ur delayed actions since ur all high and paranoid

[/ QUOTE ]

thats why you smoke hash instead of weed. no paranoia
Old 06-27-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I smoke every day [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] and I play for a living. I'm trying so hard to quit, or atleast getting all my playing done during the day so that I can smoke in the evening. I know that it negatively affects my play - I'm guessing it hurts my winrate by 1 or 2ptbb. More importantly, I think it slows the learning process, so I may not be able to make breakthroughs and move up as quickly as I'd like to. ALSO, I can't handle nearly as many tables while high. On the other hand, I doubt I would be able to handle the life of a pro poker player if it wasn't for chronic.

bleh, I should have never even tried the damn stuff to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

I used to smoke everyday all day of the good stuff since 99 up until March of this year. The more poker I played the more I smoked and the less I concentrated. It not only affects your play but it affects anything where you need absolute concentration to perform at 100%. To those of you who say it helps your play you either have not been smoking long enough or you don't smoke often enough for the negativity to show its ugly head. Now that I have quit I am truly amazed I ever got through grad school with the amount of smoking and other activities that I took part in. It truly is better to be sober and besides staying sober gives you such a sense of accomplishment. Quitting cigs in Dec 05 cold turkey after smoking 1-2 packs a day for 7 years was by far the hardest thing I have done. So if you want to quit the ganja all it takes is adjusting to being sober and full of activity. The first week I quit I felt like I was jacked up.

Just a reminder, anyone can not do something, anyone can do something, but only a handful can do it and stop without any assistance.