Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2006, 05:27 PM

Default The right call?

Final table of a MTT on FTP. Blinds were at 120/240. I was near the bottom of the pack with about $1350. I needed to make a move.

I am on the button with KJ suited (hearts). There are four callers in front. So I put in a small raise, double the blinds. All call.

The flop comes 6c Th Qh

Open end straight/royal flush for me! The small blind bets the BB. Obvious he has AQ. Folds to me. I re-raise $280. He re-raises the pot. It's now 600 to me and I have about $1000 left.

I know he has AQ. I have 9 outs to a flush. 5 addtional outs to straight (the other three nines and the other two As). I could get 8 on turn and 9 on river for straight (1/2 out). I could spike a K (3 outs). Or two jacks on turn and river (another 1/2). So I figure I have 18 outs of the 36 remaining cards.

So I push it ALL IN

Sure enough, he has AQ.

And sure enough...nothing of help comes on the turn or the river.

Was this the right call?
Old 02-10-2006, 05:31 PM

Default Re: The right call?

Your play in this hand was...ummm...not good...Push preflop, push the flop and don't even consider folding when he puts you in.

Steve
Old 02-10-2006, 05:37 PM

Don't minraise on the button, ever. Especially with 4 limpers ahead of you. If you're going to raise, make a real raise. In this case, push preflop if you're going to play, you only have 6.5xBB left.

On the flop, after SB bets, you need to push. You shouldn't be putting him exactly on one hand. He might do the same thing with QT or KQ as he's doing here, I'd say.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:40 PM

Making a shortstack move usually implies trying to take down the blinds or limpers without seeing a flop, not baby-raising and sweetening the pot for everyone involved. I hate the PF baby-raise.

If for some reason I played PF the same way, like I was drinking heavily at the time, I wouldn't dance around the flop throwing back baby-raises at each other. I push when the action gets to me. You give no FE donking each other with min-raises (not that there was much FE to begin with since a [censored]-ton of people saw the flop for 2BB).
Old 02-10-2006, 05:47 PM

Either the blinds, or everything else about the hand is wrong. Your PF play depends on the blinds, which weren't 120/240. After the flop, push 100% of the time. Also, stop thinking every bet means top pair top kicker.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:51 PM

You know, the math in this hand doesn't hold up at all.

Hero starts with 1350 at blinds of 120/240.

Hero minraises preflop, which should take his stack down to about 900. On the flop, Villain bets 240, Hero reraises another 280...and now Hero has about 1000 left. Neat trick.

In any case, as we've all said, there are a LOT of holes here. Basically, this hand was misplayed at every single opportunity you had to act except for when you finally went all-in.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:53 PM

If you aren't going to push preflop, FOLD.

If you call preflop (bad idea) PUSH the flop...
Old 02-10-2006, 06:03 PM

fold preflop
fold flop

you're kidding me right? push preflop donk
Old 02-13-2006, 01:35 AM

Thanks all for the replies. I realize that I should pushed pre-flop. I played it too conservative. Which is how I got to be the short stack. I was at panic time as the blinds were going to starting eating my stack (BTW...I think the blinds were half of what I posted...my memory is not what used to be). I just looking for a hand to double up.

THANKS for the input!