Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 05:56 AM

Default Calling stations tilt me

So... I'm playing a loose-passive showdown muppet heads-up, the game is unlimited betting hold'em poker, and all he does is check-call to the river EVERY GODDAMN HAND. It's impossible to put him on a hand, because he plays flopped boats the same way he does queen high.

So I go on tilt and lose money to this fish trying to outplay him, even when I KNOW he won't fold 66 facing a PSB on a AKQ98 board.

Am I the only one? Loose-passives shouldn't cause me to go on tilt, should they?
Old 02-10-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Calling stations tilt me

Stop trying to bluff calling stations?
Old 02-10-2007, 02:34 PM

Wow i love playing these types of players. They are hard to come by these days tho.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:34 PM

Yea man, I still do the same thing once a session its so stupid...i know they are weak so i bet/raise with no pair no draw because I know they should lay it down, but they are not going to fold their hand...loose passives are the ones you wanna play against because u just have to value bet then all the way down, but every once in a while i do that stupid bluff against them also...then i go on tilt for being the stupidest player on the planet
Old 02-10-2007, 05:29 PM

I feel your pain.

The other night I had AK. Raised it preflop and got one caller. Flop came QJ3. I had position, he checked, and I bet. He calls all the way down....with a K3. Yes, he won with a pair of threes.

The bad part is, about two hands earlier, a similar thing happened to the player on my left against this same donk. And I thought to myself, "you can't bluff the unbluffable." Then I forgot it and tried to bully him myself.

Then I get mad because these people are so stupid. Do I go on tilt? Yes...some times I do. In the case above I didn't, but I have. There were times I had to leave the poker room because I was so angry. The last time I went off on a Matusow (sic), it stayed with me for two days.

Hang in there and let these donks have their hands. It will come back to bite them. The pleasure I take is when they lose all those donk chips; and they do.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:45 PM

stop betting when not strong!! play ABC poker, you betting when your weak and know he will call is just dumb on your part, wisen up
Old 02-11-2007, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel your pain.

The other night I had AK. Raised it preflop and got one caller. Flop came QJ3. I had position, he checked, and I bet. He calls all the way down....with a K3. Yes, he won with a pair of threes.

The bad part is, about two hands earlier, a similar thing happened to the player on my left against this same donk. And I thought to myself, "you can't bluff the unbluffable." Then I forgot it and tried to bully him myself.

Then I get mad because these people are so stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you are so stupid for betting into a calling station with nothing. Okay, standard cbet, but after that my friend, you have ace high, which is currently a huge dog to a pair of treys, considering you would have been MUCH worse off if you hit a K on the river.

Remember the old saying 'dont go broke with one pair"? Then why submit yourself to suicide with NO pair?

Even sklansky in his books talks about the comical side of great players semibluffing into calling stations and losing, because it is the COMBINED chance of them folding AND us making our hand that makes it profitable.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but after that my friend, you have ace high, which is currently a huge dog to a pair of treys,

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

The reality is: You have A high, he has a pair. The last time I checked a poker ranking chart, you have the lowest hand and he has the next one up. He is winning.

I don't have any links to hand but there are a few good threads on 2+2 dedicated to the dscussion of playing unpaired overcards, from the flop onwards.

I'm still at a loss to know why players dislike calling stations. They are where the money comes from. I think it's the frustration of playing incorrectly against them.

Ian
Old 02-11-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stop trying to bluff calling stations?

[/ QUOTE ]

!!
Old 02-11-2007, 08:45 PM

This was a leak in my play with hands like AK and AQ unimproved, for a short while until I wised up and stopped it. I used to keep firing at the pot and lose a lot of chips. There is usually a reason someone is calling you all the way down, be it a small pair or whatever. That's not so say get weak and passive with these hands but don't take them too far etc.